We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first visit + safety

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
reviews: 14
first visit + safety

we are coming for 3 weeks to visit family who live in Oakland...they say their area is safe but not charming. I'm curious to know how "safe" I would be if taking a morning walk (which I do at home for health) and about my 14 year old daughter being able to get about on her own or with her 20 year old (female) cousin...would that be OK or should we keep a closer eye on her?

just to say - we are not planning on sitting around Oakland all day every day - we will be visiting many parks as well as other relatives in other parts of California - BUT Oakland is our base and where we'll be sleeping mos of our trip.

San Francisco...
21. Re: first visit + safety

You and your family will be safe, as long as everyone stays aware of their surroundings when walking around, which is true in any city. As for a few suggestions, I live very near Upper Diamond and the "undiscovered gem" of the East Bay is Redwood Regional Park just off Highway 13 at the Redwood/Roberts exit (you will be very close to this). Amazing walks and hikes. Montclair is also nearby off Highway 13/Park exit and is a charming stop for coffee, food, shopping, and the Sunday morning Farmer's Market (although better Farmer's Markets are at Temescal and Grand Lake - all of these can be found on Yelp). As with any outdoor activities in the Bay, remember your layers - it will be surprisingly cold at times! Enjoy your stay here - it's an amazing town!

22. Re: first visit + safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 10, 2014