We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first visit + safety

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
reviews: 14
first visit + safety

we are coming for 3 weeks to visit family who live in Oakland...they say their area is safe but not charming. I'm curious to know how "safe" I would be if taking a morning walk (which I do at home for health) and about my 14 year old daughter being able to get about on her own or with her 20 year old (female) cousin...would that be OK or should we keep a closer eye on her?

just to say - we are not planning on sitting around Oakland all day every day - we will be visiting many parks as well as other relatives in other parts of California - BUT Oakland is our base and where we'll be sleeping mos of our trip.

Dublin, California
reviews: 32
1. Re: first visit + safety

What area is this? Oakland is a big city.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 132
2. Re: first visit + safety

Perhaps this post may help you but if you cannot trust your relatives/family with giving you accurate info, why stay with them ?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32810-i743-k62238…

Our former President Reagan came up with the Trust but Verify -- wrt USSR. I don't think he meant it for family

Edited: 6:42 pm, March 14, 2013
Israel
3. Re: first visit + safety

Sorry to give the wrong impression - I DO trust them BUT they just moved there themselves about a month ago and, by their own admissions are most of the day at work and go everywhere by car -- therefore I am not certain they would have the answers to my questions as much as someone and more local and experienced might (they are also not yet parents but young people themselves).

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
4. Re: first visit + safety

Can you name the area of Oakland you will be in?

5. Re: first visit + safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:40 pm, March 14, 2013
Israel
6. Re: first visit + safety

Upper Dimond neighborhood?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 369
7. Re: first visit + safety

It depends on the exact area they live in

Here are two hotels I stay in in Oakland from the CIty of Oakland CrimeMapping program.

http://tinyurl.com/cgn5efz Oakland Marriott 1001 Broadway

http://tinyurl.com/cq39mhe Waterfront Hotel 10 Washington

You can see how different they are. Put the address in the program above and filter the results. It isn't just where they are, but where you intend to walk to and through.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 369
8. Re: first visit + safety

Okay, so here is a crime map from the Fred Finch Youth Center area in Upper Diamond.

http://tinyurl.com/c6c6jwg

I'd say don't go south (west?) of the 580 Freeway.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 69
9. Re: first visit + safety

See my comments in the "Driving in Oakland" thread (link in reply #2). The Dimond District is okay--not like the hip, thriving neighborhoods one would find further north but still a pleasant residential area--but borders some less desirable areas. As a general rule of thumb, I would stick to the areas north of 35th Avenue and east of MacArthur Blvd. while you are wandering around. If you need to venture into East Oakland, I would do so only in a car (or possibly a bus) on major streets (MacArthur, High, and International). Although Foothill is a major street, it (along with many side streets) can be iffy.

Oakland has some bad neighborhoods and incompetent politicians, but I hope you see the good spots and enjoy your visit. There are huge swaths of Oakland that are pleasing--from the houses to the people to the food--and maybe you'll notice how much stronger the sense of community is here compared to some more popular cities (*cough* San Francisco *cough*).

Israel
10. Re: first visit + safety

Thanks, Davdaven, for your helpful reply and friendly tone; I appreciate that :>)