We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To drive from OAK to SFO, which way?

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
reviews: 6
To drive from OAK to SFO, which way?

We will be landing at OAK on Friday, May 24th (so the start of Memorial Day Weekend) around 2PM. We will need to go to SFO to pick up the others in our group at 5:00 - wonderful timing. Then we will head north to Santa Rosa, in all of that lovely Friday-afternoon-start-of-a-holiday-weekend traffic. We were thinking of grabbing a bit of lunch on Alameda Island, maybe check in on one of the wineries, then head to SFO. Which way would be the easiest/fastest: over the Bay Bridge or south and over the San Mateo Bridge? I have no idea which direction the traffic goes at that time of day, so I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
11. Re: To drive from OAK to SFO, which way?

2:30 vs. 4:30 will make a difference via the San Mateo Bridge (because of traffic on 880 south). 2:30 vs. 4:30 via the Bay Bridge? Not so much, and certainly not from the 880 approach (reverse commute direction). I saw a suggestion for visiting a strip mall further up the thread, which is why I chimed in to say something.

Edited: 4:12 pm, March 15, 2013
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
12. Re: To drive from OAK to SFO, which way?

If you leave for Santa Rosa as soon as you can after landing, you will avoid the worst of the traffic that Friday which is one of the worst Fridays of the year.

Have your friends take the Airport Express bus from SFO to Santa Rosa and pick them up there.

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
13. Re: To drive from OAK to SFO, which way?

Personally I'd avoid the stress of thinking about traffic at all cost, and just go near SFO as soon as I can. There are plenty of dining options at cities near SFO. To ask friends to take airport express to Santa Rosa instead of picking them up is a sure way to lose friends. Better to pick friends up and all have dinner in the City, then go to Santa Rosa, as suggested.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
14. Re: To drive from OAK to SFO, which way?

Lost in all these posts about where to spend time is davedavn's excellent suggestion about going to taste Hanger One vodka. For others who are reading this and have time. Please do go check that out or purchase a bottle at your fav liquor store. It is very smooth but if one drinks that -- forget driving -- just stay in that area ;-)

15. Re: To drive from OAK to SFO, which way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 17, 2014