We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Oakland

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york city
reviews: 1
Driving in Oakland

How is driving in Oakland - traffic and parking wise? Any areas that should be avoided?

Thanks!!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
11. Re: Driving in Oakland

To clarify, I described the West and East Oakland neighborhoods using very easy to identify borders. It is hard to miss elevated freeways and large boulevards with freeway exits!

And Sarita, sorry to say, but West Oakland still has a long way to go. It is fine as long as you stick to main streets, like I said, but I would never recommend anyone--especially someone unfamiliar with the block-by-block issues of the neighborhood--venture onto side streets. There are very real dangers present in West Oakland, and it is unrealistic, for example, for a visitor to know where the Acorn housing development is and why it should be avoided.

California
reviews: 18
12. Re: Driving in Oakland

I agree that visitors would not want to stroll around the project areas at night in West Oakland or any city, but West Oakland is large and diverse. Visitors may have friends or relatives living in West Oakland, and may be dismayed to learn that the entire area is a danger zone. Visitors may want to attend an event at The Crucible or the American Steel Studios, dine at Brown Sugar Kitchen (which has a delicious brunch and long lines), take a class at Trapeze Arts, visit one of the numerous small businesses there, just walk around, or take a West Oakland tour which is apparently offered. No one should be discouraged from doing any of that because it is just not unsafe. True it won't be at the top of the stereotypical tourist's agenda, if there is such a person, but others might enjoy the funky charm and vibrancy of a historical neighborhood undergoing rapid restoration, or, as some might say, gentrification. And stop in at Revolution Cafe while you are down there.

13. Re: Driving in Oakland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 09, 2014