We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox theater

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Turlock
reviews: 7
Fox theater

My husband and I will be attending a show at the Fox. Is there a nearby hotel that we could walk to after the show?

Oakland, California
reviews: 61
1. Re: Fox theater

You could walk to the Marriott or the Courtyard downtown, but it can be dicey down there at night.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
2. Re: Fox theater

There are two Marriott properties downtown. I wouldn't call the walk dicey, but it is quiet on weeknights.

If you don't want to walk, the Fox Theater is across the street from 19th Street BART Station. You could take BART to a hotel in downtown Berkeley, which is very close by, or to a hotel in San Francisco. Please let us know if you would like any specific recommendations.

P.S. On Friday and Saturday nights, the free "B" shuttle runs past the Fox Theater and goes all the way down to Jack London Square. You could stay at either Marriott property or the Waterfront Hotel and use this convenient service.

Turlock
3. Re: Fox theater

Thank you both so much. The concert is on Saturday night. I'm not sure what time it ends. The shuttle is great information. I will make reservations today! :)

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
4. Re: Fox theater

Concerts at the Fox Theater usually let out around 11 or 11:30, depending upon the start time. The shuttle runs until 1 AM on Saturdays, so it sounds like you have some flexibility. Enjoy!

http://www.meetdowntownoak.com/shuttle.php

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
5. Re: Fox theater

By the way, the Clarion Hotel is also located downtown. While the hotel itself seems fine, it is on a quiet side street. I would be hesitant to wander around on quiet downtown side streets late at night. Stick to the main streets--Broadway and Telegraph, plus other streets where you see pedestrian traffic.

Edited: 1:53 pm, March 06, 2013
Oakland, California
reviews: 61
6. Re: Fox theater

Um, yes, it can definitely be dicey walking down Broadway to either Marriott at night, especially as you move away from the uptown neighborhood (where the Fox is located) and the nightlife crowd thins out. The areas around Broadway between 13th and 11th I would pay particular attention and stay on the west (right) side of Broadway.

So the shuttle (or Barting to SF) is absolutely a good idea.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
7. Re: Fox theater

Why would you recommend the west side of the street there? It just has office building frontages that will be vacant at that time of night. The east side of the street has a couple restaurants (although calling them "restaurants" might be generous) that are open at that hour...

Turlock
8. Re: Fox theater

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses; they helped me a lot. I will book at the Marriot and either take the shuttle or walk with a crowd of other concert goers.

It means a lot to have help from people who are familiar with the area. I appreciate the time you spent helping me with this dilemma.

Sincerely,

Jeanette

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
9. Re: Fox theater

Good luck! The Fox Theater is absolutely beautiful (and has great sound too), so you will enjoy the show immensely. :)

P.S. I was just downtown last night and walked past the Clarion. The blocks right around the hotel are looking a little better these days. Still a bit quiet at night, but I didn't feel unsafe walking to/from BART.

10. Re: Fox theater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, March 10, 2014