We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OKC girls headed to Oakland & Napa. HELP!

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
reviews: 7
OKC girls headed to Oakland & Napa. HELP!

Hi there. My girlfriends and I are headed to Napa the first weekend of May for a bachelorette party. We are all from OKC however we are finding much cheaper flights from Dallas into OAK. Would someone please give me some information on the best way to do this trip? We would be getting in around 11pm on Thursday and either driving into Napa after or waiting until Friday morning to drive in. How far is the drive exactly and what is the better option as far as waiting till Friday morning or trying to make it there late Thursday night? Also, any ideas on car rentals, hotels close to the airport etc?

Thanks so much!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: OKC girls headed to Oakland & Napa. HELP!

I would not recommend ANY hotel near the airport. If you don't mind the drive to Napa, just rent a car (from Hertz, avis, budget, alamo and enterprise) and drive to your hotel. It will be an easy drive and you can map it at maps.google.com Why battle traffic in the morning during rush hour.

It will be about an hour's drive but it all depends on where you are going in the Napa Valley. The city of Napa or further north.

There is a part of me which says you wil be tired and may not want to drive that late but with company and a coffee I would suggest you drive and go to your hotel

Edited: 11:38 am, February 22, 2013
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
2. Re: OKC girls headed to Oakland & Napa. HELP!

Are you flying Southwest? American doesn't go to Oakland anymore. Southwest also goes to Sacramento which is a good airport for Napa.

We don't know all your particulars. I would avoid any flight that arrives at that hour if it was my trip but you may not have any choice. You will probably save money on the hotel room if you stay in Oakland or Emeryville rather than Napa that first night.

If you are coming in on Friday night, you don't have to worry about traffic on Saturday morning.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: OKC girls headed to Oakland & Napa. HELP!

11PM Pacfic time is 1PM Central. I'm not sure I'd recommend driving up to Napa after a flight. But you will face morning commute traffic -- at least until the San Rafael Bridge -- unless you get an early start.

Edit: Super, the OP indicates they are flying in Thursday evening.

Edited: 12:08 pm, February 22, 2013
Oklahoma City...
reviews: 7
4. Re: OKC girls headed to Oakland & Napa. HELP!

Thank you so much for your help. I was talking to a friend from San Fran who also advised against a bunch of loud and blonde headed girls staying in Oakland. HAHA! I guess I didn't really think that through :)

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
5. Re: OKC girls headed to Oakland & Napa. HELP!

You guys are young and it should be no problem driving up to Napa on that first night. Just stay off your cell phones and concentrate on the driving.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
6. Re: OKC girls headed to Oakland & Napa. HELP!

There is nothing wrong with Oakland. Leave it to a person from San Francisco to give us a bad rap. :)

That being said, the hotels in Oakland around the airport are really lackluster. What I highly recommend you do is look at a hotel in Alameda or San Leandro. Both towns offer great options a short distance from the airport. That way you can rest up, have a leisurely morning, and then drive up to Napa after breakfast.

You should seriously consider the San Leandro Marina Inn (http://www.sanleandromarinainn.com). It's a nice property in a beautiful, peaceful setting right on the bay. They offer free breakfast, Wi-Fi, parking, and bicycles--the latter perfect for a morning ride around the marina before heading out of town. There is a free airport shuttle too, but unfortunately it doesn't run past 10 PM.

If the San Leandro Marina Inn isn't to your liking, the nearby Hampton Inn & Suites (http://www.oaklandairporthi.com) in Alameda may be worth considering. The hotel is near the water but in more of a business park setting. Nonetheless, it's a good spot to refresh before the drive up to Napa.

FYI, since there are at least 3 of you, I would not worry about driving the next day. You get to use the carpool lanes, which are in effect until 10 AM. If you don't mind staying at your hotel until 9, traffic will be light most of the way there. You might experience a little slowing on 880 before the Bay Bridge, but the trek up 80 to Vallejo (and then on 37 and 29 the rest of the way to Napa) should be problem-free.

San Diego...
7. Re: OKC girls headed to Oakland & Napa. HELP!

You must be nuts. Arriving in OAk at 11pm... and you want to stay over night?? You must be nuts. Not only does Oakland have one of the worst crime rates in Cali, it's home to the Hell's Angels. Nuff said. Re arrange your trip so you arrive and can get the hell out of Oakland before dark. If you must stay in Oakland overnight find a hotel with a shuttle to pick you up and call or write the Oakland police and ask for a suggestion. The Governor of Calif is Jerry Brown the ex-major of Oakland, what he did to Calif in the 70's he did to Oakland in the 2000's and is doing to Calif again in the 2010's. Avoid at all cost, both the governor and Oakland.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
8. Re: OKC girls headed to Oakland & Napa. HELP!

Please ignore the trolls. Thank you.

Oakland, California
reviews: 62
9. Re: OKC girls headed to Oakland & Napa. HELP!

davdaven's suggested hotels are both excellent choices within ten minutes of the airport. They are perfectly safe. The Hampton Inn Alameda is particularly close to OAK car rental. Sleep in the next morning and don't get on highway 80 before 10 a.m. After that, it's an easy shot up to Napa. Have fun :)

10. Re: OKC girls headed to Oakland & Napa. HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 28, 2014