We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another hotel question

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston
reviews: 25
Another hotel question

Colleague of mine traveling to Northern California first week of March for business. As of right now he has meetings in Oakland and Pleasonton. He may also have a meeting in San Jose. What town would be most centrally located for these meetings? I'd like the area to be safe. We are state employees so we get good rates on hotels.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Another hotel question

Just map out locations on maps.google.com and then look at the number of times the visitor has to go to SJ or Pleasanton and then decide If most of the work is Oakland, stay in downtown Oakland. Traffic is bad going to Pleasanton in the evening from Oakland and just a pain to go to San Jose during rush hour Oakland has good restaurants as well

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
2. Re: Another hotel question

If most of your colleague's meetings are in Oakland and Pleasanton, it would be worth locating near a BART station. San Jose is a challenge to reach by car or public transit, so I would not plan around it.

Assuming nightlife is not a consideration, the most central point I would recommend is Castro Valley. The Comfort Suites is rated well while the Quality Inn has mixed reviews. Both are next to the freeway and within walking distance of the Castro Valley BART Station--on the line that runs between Oakland and Pleasanton. Although Hayward is centrally located too, its better hotels are not centrally located.

If nightlife is a consideration, I recommend staying in Oakland. There are a couple Marriott properties near 12th Street BART Station, as well as a couple hotels near the waterfront. The waterfront hotels are better with a car, while the downtown hotels are better without a car.

One last property I would recommend is the San Leandro Marina Inn, which is in a peaceful area south of the Oakland Airport. I recommend this property only with a car, as bus service is somewhat limited and BART is not nearby.

P.S. Avoid the hotels near the airport; the area is not very appealing.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 46
3. Re: Another hotel question

>>the most central point I would recommend is Castro Valley.<<

True, but unfortunately that means that there would be an equally long commute every day. My preference would be to locate closest to the majority of the meetings, either Pleasanton or Oakland, and near a BART station so you can get to the other location.

4. Re: Another hotel question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 22, 2014