We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe hotels near Oracle Arena

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 13
Safe hotels near Oracle Arena

Husband and I are thinking of watching a game at the oracle arena and will be passing through for one night from napa down to big sur. Which would be the hotels in the safest areas to stay in in oakland and how should we travel to and from the arena?

We have a rental car but worry that we may take a wrong turn to and from the arena so might take a taxi/public transport. Would it be a better idea to stay in emeryville, pleasanton or SF instead? I've tried looking on the forums which generally recommend the Marriott downtown but the reviews of this hotel seems pretty dire on tripadvisor. Appreciate any tips. Thanks much! By the way, no need for us to stay in SF this time around as we will be returning in 2 weeks for a whole week in SF later that month.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
1. Re: Safe hotels near Oracle Arena

There are several options you can consider since you have a car. I would not opt for either of the Marriott properties downtown, as parking can be a hassle in the neighborhood.

My recommendation is that you stay at the pleasant San Leandro Marina Inn, which is on the bayfront a few miles southwest of the arena. The best way to reach the arena is to drive and park at the San Leandro BART Station. The ride to the Coliseum is just one stop (4 minutes) and costs $3.50 round-trip. (Be sure to buy the $3.50 ticket to avoid ticket machine queues after the game.)

Once you reach Coliseum Station, the arena can be reached easily by using the pedestrian bridge. (Just follow the crowds!) This is a no-nonsense way to get to/from the game, plus there is no chance of you making a wrong turn and ending up in a bad neighborhood.

If the Marina Inn is not to your liking, consider the Executive Inn & Suites or Homewood Suites in Oakland (driving distance Fruitvale BART Station). A fourth option is the Hilton Garden Inn in San Leandro, which is near the relatively unappealing Bay Fair BART Station.

Edited: 5:43 pm, February 19, 2013
reviews: 13
2. Re: Safe hotels near Oracle Arena

Thanks for the tips!

3. Re: Safe hotels near Oracle Arena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 28, 2014