We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions about OAK (cross post SF forum)

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
reviews: 111
A few questions about OAK (cross post SF forum)

Cross post from SF forum--

We are currently flying out of SFO on a Saturday at 6:25AM. Crikey! Obviously, I'm not pleased with the flight I picked, but it was the best option at the time as it involves only one stop w/ no plane change. The other flight options suck even more. I checked flights out of OAK, and they have one at 8:10. MUCH better.

My questions: What kind of traffic are we likely to encounter early Sat AM's? We would plan to arrive at the airport around 6:40AM. Research here states travel time from Union Square to OAK is about 30 mins. Yes? We plan to take a taxi or Pleasant Limo. Does anyone recommend one over the other? PL is a flat $75 plus tip, taxifarefinder says $54 for taxi, but I imagine $60-$65 is more realistic, depending on traffic. I'm leaning towards Pleasant.

I know BART has been recommended here, but I don't pack light and swore I'd never do public transportation from a major airport after a trip to Boston. Big bags are a PIA to deal with! I'm willing to pay for convenience :-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: A few questions about OAK (cross post SF forum)

Traffic will not be an issue on a Saturday that early. I would go with Pleasant Limo and not worry about a cab.

Those taxi fare sites may not have the most updated fares so please dont go with those.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
2. Re: A few questions about OAK (cross post SF forum)

Yes, BART is the best way to get to both SFO and OAK, but it doesn't matter in your case. There is no traffic on Saturday morning, so a taxi or private car will work just fine. The trip should not take more than 30 minutes.

Actual taxi fare is around $60 or $65 with tip and toll compensation, so the private car seems like the way to go. You might be able to find a private car for a little less money, but it's up to you to decide if saving $5 or $10 is worth lots of extra research.

Note that check-in at OAK is a piece of cake compared to SFO, so arriving 90 minutes early will give you more than enough time to check your bags, go through security, and grab breakfast in the terminal.

Oakland, California
reviews: 61
3. Re: A few questions about OAK (cross post SF forum)

No traffic Saturday morning. Definitely take the limo. A taxi will be closer to a hundred bucks. Oakland is a much easier airport to navigate and much less subject to weather delays than SFO. There is absolutely no need to get to OAK more than an hour prior to your flight.

Orlando
4. Re: A few questions about OAK (cross post SF forum)

acek~~"There is absolutely no need to get to OAK more than an hour prior to your flight."

Really? Even if we have to check bags? That would be outstanding!

Edited: 10:32 am, February 09, 2013
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
5. Re: A few questions about OAK (cross post SF forum)

I can't imagine a taxi costing $100 on a Saturday morning. We could say $70 if we want to be safe, but $100 is just way too high unless there is some new fee that I'm missing.

60 minutes is plenty of time at OAK without checked baggage. I recommend 90 minutes with checked baggage just to be safe. I've actually arrived at OAK 45/60 minutes early (respectively) and gotten through without any problems, but I think cutting it that close is a good way to stress out.

Oakland, California
reviews: 61
6. Re: A few questions about OAK (cross post SF forum)

Ah yes, I misread the post. The taxi fare from SFO to OAK is about $100. Probably more like $70 from Union Square. They theoretically can hit you with an additional 50% surcharge for going 15 miles past SF city limits, but I've never actually seen that happen.

I fly out of OAK every couple of weeks, usually Southwest. Check in online and do the bag drop, or carry-on, and 45 minutes prior to departure is just fine. I usually leave 60 just to be safe. At 7:10 on a Saturday morning, there is absolutely no need to arrive more than 60 minutes prior to departure.

Orlando
7. Re: A few questions about OAK (cross post SF forum)

Well, acek, you were dead on.

Flying out of OAK was one of the easiest airports I've ever flown out of...

Curbside bag check-in and through security in 10 mins flat. That is not an exaggeration. I had plenty of time to enjoy my Otaez breakfast burrito with time to spare.

8. Re: A few questions about OAK (cross post SF forum)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 02, 2014