We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OAK to Oakland Federal Courthouse

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 6
OAK to Oakland Federal Courthouse

I am a complete stranger to Oakland and to BART.

I am flying into Oakland, and need to get to the U.S. District Courthouse (1301 Clay Street).

I have left myself lots of extra time. My flight arrives at noon, and I don’t have to be in court until 2:00 p.m. I think that BART is the “best” way to go, in terms of time and cost. Is that right?

From the BART website, it looks like I have to take an “AirBART shuttle” bus from the airport to the Coliseum/Oakland Airport BART Station [leaves every 10 minutes, and it is a 15 minute ride], and that I then have to take a BART train towards Richmond to the 12th Street-City Center Station [a 12 minute ride]. Is this right?

It looks like the walk from the 12th Street-City Center BART Station to the Courthouse is just a couple of blocks.

Assuming I get downtown around 12:45 p.m., that leaves me time for lunch. Any restaurant suggestions? Please remember I am a complete stranger to your city!

I was going to buy a $10 BART ticket, but then I saw that the AirBART does not return tickets, so I shouldn’t do that. Can I buy a $3.00 ticket and a $7 ticket, use the $3 ticket for the first AirBART bus, use the $7 ticket to pay for the round-trip BART trip downtown, and then use the remaining $3.50 for the AirBART bus on the return? [BART can have the extra $0.50!]

Anything else I need to know? Thanks!

NoCal
reviews: 63
1. Re: OAK to Oakland Federal Courthouse

There is the oakland city center, many places to choose from, from there, maybe 2 blocks away. From the bart station, look for the escalator s going up, city center is right there. Oakland airport is a hood choice, not many delays.

NoCal
reviews: 63
2. Re: OAK to Oakland Federal Courthouse

That was good choice.

3. Re: OAK to Oakland Federal Courthouse

Bring $3 cash for Airbart. You can purchase Bart tickets in 5 cent increments so do not have to leave any $$ on the table. Just look for the up or down arrow to adjust the value on the ticket.

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
4. Re: OAK to Oakland Federal Courthouse

For AirBART yes you can purchase two $3.00 tickets just for the shuttle bus, or you can use cash. You got the procedure getting to the Courthouse from OAK exactly right.

Restaurant suggestions:

Le Cheval, Vietnamese, 1007 Clay Street, one of my favorites.

San Francisco Soup Company, 1300 Clay Street

Lunch Stop, 1301 Clay Street

La Cucina Italiana, 1401 Jefferson Street.

BTW, I'd walk up 12th or 14th from BART station to the Courthouse, but not on 11th.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5. Re: OAK to Oakland Federal Courthouse

Great, guys! Thanks so much. I was going to rent a car, but then I have to hassle with parking and such. And being a stranger to Oakland, well, this seems much easier.

TkanksSocial, what dish(es) do you recommend at Le Cheval? I'll probably just go for one of their pho's, but if there is something in particular you suggest, ...

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
6. Re: OAK to Oakland Federal Courthouse

I like the Singapore spicy noodles or clay pot rice.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
7. Re: OAK to Oakland Federal Courthouse

As noted above, pay for AirBART with $3 cash. You can purchase a $6.50 BART ticket once you arrive at Coliseum Station. Just put cash or credit card into the ticket machine and adjust in 5¢ and $1 increments to your desired value. The $6.50 value will get you to 12th Street and back, plus it'll cover the $3 AirBART ticket back to the airport.

There are several lunch spots around 12th Street/Oakland Station. Another option you may want to consider is Specialty's, which is a good sandwich shop very close to your destination.

For the walk between the BART station and your destination, I recommend walking through Oakland City Center. (It's the shopping/office complex bordered by 12th and 14th streets.) You're likely to find several additional lunch options that suit your fancy.

Las Vegas, Nevada
8. Re: OAK to Oakland Federal Courthouse

Wonderful. You guys are making this trip easy for me! I'll stroll through the City Center and check it out.

But a good Vietnamese place is high on my list. Cam o'n. [I don't know how to make the mark over the "a" in my browser.]

Oakland, California
reviews: 62
9. Re: OAK to Oakland Federal Courthouse

I would probably take a cab. You can wait forever for the AirBart shuttle. Le Cheval is a good choice for lunch.

10. Re: OAK to Oakland Federal Courthouse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 09, 2014