We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using BART from SFO to Oakland

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 1
Using BART from SFO to Oakland

Recently someone who works for an airline told us that they find it easier to take BART from SFO to rent their car in Oakland, as an alternative to renting a car at SFO - has anyone done this? Does it make sense? Renting a car at SFO is terrible...

Thanks in advance

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Using BART from SFO to Oakland

No it does not make sense. What do you mean by renting a car at SFO is terrible ? Why would you go all the way to OAK to rent a car ? What problem are you trying to solve ? Rates are airports have fees added on as compared to a city or local non-airport location.

If you need some advise, the more info you give the better we can help. But I don't think this suggestion of changing airports to get a car is a good one.

Edited: 9:18 pm, December 28, 2012
2. Re: Using BART from SFO to Oakland

When I lived in SoCal and had to fly to SF for work, I rented cars from SFO without any problems. It's really not that much of a pain. Most of the major car rental companies are located in one huge rental car center right next to the airport. It's accessible by a short ride on the AirTrain (reminds me of Disney since its totally automated)

Mind you, the BART ride from SFO to Oakland airport will take an hour or so. Then you have to board a shuttle to the airport. Then another shuttle to the offsite car rental center.

Edited: 9:49 pm, December 28, 2012
Dublin, California
reviews: 29
3. Re: Using BART from SFO to Oakland

Renting a car from SFO is terrible, how so? Too expensive? Too much hassle? As compared to spending an hour on BART and two shuttle bus rides to OAK to rent a car?

Oakland, California
reviews: 62
4. Re: Using BART from SFO to Oakland

That's crazy. BART doesn't even go to the Oakland airport, and the rental cars there are off-airport. Nor does BART go direct from SFO to Coliseum (the closest stop) so you're looking at changing trains somewhere in the city. I'm guessing that's a 2.5 hour plus trip total. What was your friend smoking?

And I have to agree with earlier posts, car rental at SFO is no worse than most major airports, and with the lightrail connection, better than many.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
5. Re: Using BART from SFO to Oakland

Geez. All you have to do to rent a car at SFO is take the airtrain, or whatever they call it, from your terminal to the rental car building. Where in the world did you get this misinformation?

6. Re: Using BART from SFO to Oakland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 09, 2014