We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is sunday 3 30pm- 5 30 pm peak hour traffic on Bay bridge

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
reviews: 3
is sunday 3 30pm- 5 30 pm peak hour traffic on Bay bridge

Hi dear locals of sf, I am arriving with my family of 4 into SF international airport after a 13 hour flight ( with 2 large suitcase and 3 small carry on ) @ 2 40 pm on a sunday . We have 4.5 hours for check out, clear customs etc and travel from sfo to oakland airport to catch another domestic.

should we 1) use the BART ?From website and calculating, would need 1 hour 30 mins. sounds long but it is cheap and predictable.

2) would like to ask if taxi or airport shuttle is the other possibility should we be delayed at the customs ?

many thanks for your answer,

gratefully, CHUA

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 109
1. Re: is sunday 3 30pm- 5 30 pm peak hour traffic on Bay bridge

It may take you 60 to 90 minutes to clear immigration collect bags and clear customs So you could book a shuttle Check supershuttle or lories for the costs for the whole shuttle or take a cab

Sunday is not rush hour traffic time unless there is a 49er game or sporting event

I would do a cab or book the entire shuttle not go with a shared shuttle

San Francisco...
reviews: 90
2. Re: is sunday 3 30pm- 5 30 pm peak hour traffic on Bay bridge

If you take BART from SFO to OAK, ypu will not have to worry about road traffic or the BAY brige as BART goes through tubes resting underwater in the Bay. If your children are under 8, bart might be better because you will not need to worry about car seats and BART is free if you are 4 and under, with kids discount for those between 5-12.

If you are late going through customs, a taxi would be faster.. but make sure you have car seats especially if kids are really small.

Edited: 11:11 am, November 24, 2012
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: is sunday 3 30pm- 5 30 pm peak hour traffic on Bay bridge

It takes about the same time to drive from SFO to OAK via the Bay Bridge or San Mateo Bridge so I don't think traffic (especially on a Sunday) will be any sort of issue.

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
4. Re: is sunday 3 30pm- 5 30 pm peak hour traffic on Bay bridge

Does the 4.5 hours including time to check in at OAK? I think BART is a bad option for you. After a long flight you'll have to carry your luggage on BART, then take the shuttle bus from BART station to OAK. Personally I'd take a taxi.

singapore
5. Re: is sunday 3 30pm- 5 30 pm peak hour traffic on Bay bridge

Thanks to all : Thanks social security, RamblinSal, ALTippet & belomiser,

It is amazing how you each address my concern. Yes the 4.5 hours include check in at OAK . Going onto southwest. and I know the long flight will wear me out.. having with me in toll are 2 fussy kids 10 & 7 . and yes, i will bring a car seat as the 10 year old is underweight.

may i please check with anyone the " guestimate " cab fare from SFO to OAK?

thanks much ..

Chua

San Francisco...
6. Re: is sunday 3 30pm- 5 30 pm peak hour traffic on Bay bridge

If you are bringing car seats, taking a shuttle or cab would be more convenient after a long trip but expect to pay $95. Less if you take private shuttle. Southwest also flies from SFO. Did you check flights from SFO? You can change your flight on SWA without penalty so if you find flights from SFO it might be worthwhile switching.

Edited: 10:24 am, November 25, 2012
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
7. Re: is sunday 3 30pm- 5 30 pm peak hour traffic on Bay bridge

Although SFO and OAK are close to each other, the only direct route involves swimming. Otherwise you have to cross over the Bay Bridge or San Mateo Bridge, or ride on BART through the Transbay Tube.

Theoretically, there is plenty of time for you to clear customs and take BART between airports. Southwest does not have any travel agreements with other airlines, though, so your travel plans could result in disaster if your first flight is late. You definitely should take ALTippet's advice and switch to a Southwest flight out of SFO. Alternatively, consider taking a later flight from OAK or spending the night in town. Unlike with other airlines, there is no penalty for flight changes on Southwest. You simply pay the difference in airfare (if any).

singapore
8. Re: is sunday 3 30pm- 5 30 pm peak hour traffic on Bay bridge

Dear ALtippet & davdaven ,

Thanks for the insight and the concern. We decided on OAK because sw flies direct to reno and it takes only an hour. All other sw flights out of SFO to reno changes at LAX , extending the flight time by 3 hours. Weighing the risk of delays of earlier SW flights etc, decision was to bite the bullet and do the transfer in OAK.

As in all holidays, we will just stay cool and consider whatever options ( and thanks for the suggestions ) should there be any hiccups in the plan.

Keeping our fingers cross...

cheers

San Francisco...
9. Re: is sunday 3 30pm- 5 30 pm peak hour traffic on Bay bridge

SWA has plenty of flights to reno so even if you miss it, you can just hop on the next one. So I think you should be fine as it is not the end of the world to catch a later flight. Just remember to check in online for your flight 24 hours before.. on your way from SIN. Southwest has open seating and it is first come first served based on the order that you check in so you want to check in early. There is curbside checkin for your luggage if the line in the terminal is too long.

singapore
10. Re: is sunday 3 30pm- 5 30 pm peak hour traffic on Bay bridge

Hi AlTippet,

sorry for sounding like a country bumpkin .. curb side checking : how do I do it ? as in - I see that the queue is long and i know can't make it , i just go to the side of the curb and request for assistance ?

thanks

chua