We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attending a Music Concert

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chico, California...
Attending a Music Concert

Hello all! I will be attending a music concert at the Oakland Metro Operahouse, which I can see is a couple blocks from Jack London Square. I was wondering if this area around the Oakland Metro is safe?? the show is from 8pm-12am. I recently read an article that was published a few days ago that stated Oakland was the 3rd worst city in the USA...I want to enjoy the show but Im worried for my safety and my vehicle. Is there parking near by as well? Thanks in advance for all advice and tips!!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 61
1. Re: Attending a Music Concert

Oh, another one of those lists. I read stuff like that on SFGate all the time. Want to know the top 10 cities to walk a dog in the shade? Curious where the 10 worst cities are to find pairs of socks in prices that end in the number 7? Click here! Etc. Etc.

Seriously, though, the area is fine. It's semi-industrial, so it'll be quiet at night, but there will be street activity associated with the concert. Ample street parking is available; just double-check street signs to see if there is overnight street sweeping on a particular block.

Most after-hours activity will be centered along Broadway and around Jack London Square, which are to the east/south of the Metro Operahouse. I suggest not straying too far west (away from Broadway). That area is strictly industrial, and if something happens, there will be no passers-by to notice until the next morning.

Speaking of lists, Oakland made this year's New York Times #5 spot for best emerging place to visit. Enjoy your visit!

San Francisco...
reviews: 108
2. Re: Attending a Music Concert

There is covered parking at Jack London Square if you do not want to park on the street. Lots of people stay late around that area because of Yoshi's jazz club plus the movie theater.

Chico, California...
3. Re: Attending a Music Concert

From what I can tell the Metro is 4 blocks west of Broadway. Itll still be ok?

4. Re: Attending a Music Concert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 06, 2013