We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest at OAK

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oceanside...
reviews: 46
Southwest at OAK

For those of you with knowledge of OAK and Southwest airlines, is 35 minutes enough time to get to the next flight? I'm looking at Southwest flights going through OAK and one choice arrives OAK at 7:05pm with the next leg departing at 7:40pm.

Thanks.

1. Re: Southwest at OAK

Flights leave from the same terminal so no lng runs needed. Should not be an issue if flights are on time. BUT the main drawback is finding a nice seat if the 2nd flight starts boarding as SWA does not have assigned seating. 35 minutes would be the min.

Edited: 11:58 pm, October 22, 2012
Berkeley, Ca.
reviews: 72
2. Re: Southwest at OAK

Sometimes Southwest flights wind up at the other terminal in Oakland, but I basically agree that it should be enough time, it's not that big an airport.

Oceanside...
reviews: 46
3. Re: Southwest at OAK

Thanks for the input. I fly Southwest quite frequently so I know about their boarding process. From looking at the terminal map of OAK it appears that 35 minutes should be good as long as the first flight isn't late.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 69
4. Re: Southwest at OAK

You'll be fine as long as your first flight isn't late and you don't mind a middle seat. Even if you take a casual stroll, OAK is only 10 minutes end-to-end. Good luck!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 345
5. Re: Southwest at OAK

It is certainly doable, but I'd be a bit nervous. It depends on where the 7:40 flight is going. If it was down to SAN I'd be okay knowing there were other flights leaving later. if the 7:40PM was the last flight of the night to my final destination, I might not risk it.

NoCal
reviews: 62
6. Re: Southwest at OAK

remember to try to sit up at the front of the plane on your first leg. boarding normally doesn't happen until 20 minutes before flight time for SWA.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 379
7. Re: Southwest at OAK

You leave out something important: what are your other options, either through OAK or elsewhere? If you miss the connection at OAK, is there a later fight you could get (assuming there are available seats)? If we say you should be fine, and you miss the connection, will we still be friends?

Edited: 4:28 pm, October 24, 2012
Concord, California
reviews: 11
8. Re: Southwest at OAK

Don't check your bags if you're cutting it that close. I tried to get bumped up to an earlier flight and the counter agent said 30 minutes wasn't enough time since I was checking bags.

9. Re: Southwest at OAK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 27, 2013