We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jack London Square

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
reviews: 12
Jack London Square

I'm coming to Oakland on 9/22 for a Raiders game on 9/23 and tentatively staying at Executive Inn Suites. I thought staying on the water would be cool, and we could take the shuttle to Jack London Square. But the Square hasn't exactly gotten rave reviews, it seems kind of lame actually. Better to stay elsewhere, in SF maybe? We're coming Saturday so we'd like to hit some bars and have fun that night then go to the game on Sunday. We'll be using Bart for transportation. Thanks!

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
1. Re: Jack London Square

Sounds like Union Square in SF is more like what you're looking for. It's very easy to take BART from downtown SF to the Oakland Coliseum.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
2. Re: Jack London Square

We were at J.L. Square yesterday(Sunday) for Yoshi's free outdoor jazz play.. A lot of people and a nice long farmer's market along the water front(9am-2pm), boat slips, restaurants, bars, JLS lodge replica, etc.

Nice place, all upgraded/renovated. Check Yoshi's who is playing.

San Francisco...
reviews: 121
3. Re: Jack London Square

Hopefully you won't be wearing you Steeler jersey to a Raider game. Will you be planning on renting a car? Or avoiding a car if it makes sense?

Edited: 7:09 pm, August 28, 2012
Reno, Nevada
4. Re: Jack London Square

Actually I am going to wear my Steeler colors, I'm going to have faith that the Raider fans will not live up to their bad reps and I'll get out of there alive. I'm hoping all the smack talking stays just that and things don't get physical. We're driving from Reno, so we'll have a car. But mostly I figured BART would suffice.

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
5. Re: Jack London Square

There'll probably be as many Steeler fans as Raider fans there. Just don't forget to bring your terrible towel.

I'd also suggest staying in SF. You can take BART to the game easily. There are a lot more options in SF than at Oakland and Jack London Square. Also many SF hotels charge an arm and a leg for parking.

San Francisco...
6. Re: Jack London Square

If you're driving, you have more options. I agree with many others who have chimed in, staying in SF is convenient because there's lot more options for Friday and you can take BART to the game. But you may end up paying to park your car in San Francisco.

I'll present another perspective and you can decide:

The other option is to stay where you are by the waterfront since you thought it would be cool. It's also very close to the Coliseum.

You could take BART into San Francisco -- or take the ferry into San Francisco (from Jack London Square). You could park at the Coliseum BART station to take BART or walk across the street to the Coliseum.

Note that I don't think the executive suites has views of San Francisco. If you want views of the SF skyline and be by the water, you'll have to stay either in Alameda or Berkeley / Emeryville.

Edited: 11:11 pm, August 28, 2012
Oakland, California
reviews: 13
7. Re: Jack London Square

I would say the Executive Inn is going to be a quiet spot - except for the traffic on 880 and 20+ minute walk to JLS or BART. If you can afford the difference for a nice hotel in SF I would say you will have a more enjoyable stay. BART is convenient and cheap for getting to an from the airport and Coliseum (so long as your game doesn't go past midnight). Don't bother renting a car unless you want to spend a fortune on parking and really want to get out to places outside of the city (coastline, Silicon Valley, wine country).

Reno, Nevada
8. Re: Jack London Square

Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions. SF hotels are looking a little pricey so we might be sticking with the Executive Inn and taking the ferry into the city. It's the Bay Area, how can you not have fun anywhere you stay!

San Francisco...
9. Re: Jack London Square

Plus the ferry leaves from jack london so you have the chance to check it out before your ferry.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 69
10. Re: Jack London Square

The Executive Inn should be a pleasant place to stay as long as you stay on the estuary side of the premises rather than the "city" (read: freeway) side.

You will be in town the same weekend as the Eat Real Fest, so Jack London Square will be hoppin' both days. See eatrealfestival.com/event/…2012 for details. Should be fun!

As for your clothing, a good friend of mine will be attending the game in his Steelers colors. I wouldn't expect any problems unless you go looking for them. Enjoy!