We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is A Hotel in Emeryville a safe location for tourists?

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
reviews: 3
Is A Hotel in Emeryville a safe location for tourists?

I just booked the Four Points Sheraton in Emeryville as a cheaper alternative to staying right in San Fran. We were planning to arrive one evening, tour San Fran the next day then depart the following morning. A family member has now mentioned that they think Oakland is not a safe place to stay and that we should stay in San Francisco instead. Can anyone help give some guidance on this?

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
1. Re: Is A Hotel in Emeryville a safe location for tourists?

First of all everyone here will tell you to stay in SF, not because of the safety issue, but because of the convenience factor if you are visiting SF. Second Emeryville is not Oakland. Third Oakland is a large city, there are unsafe areas and there are safe areas. There are unsafe areas in SF too.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: Is A Hotel in Emeryville a safe location for tourists?

Have you read reviews of the hotel on the Emeryville site. As you know the hotel is in emeryville and not in Oakland so it is up to you to read reviews and decide if you want to stay there or not You have to look at costs for all of you to travel back and forth and add that to your hotel rate. There are budget options in SF and it is for you to decide if you want to look at those and stay in SF just for the day or two or travel back and forth

starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/…

shows you the travel options to/from the BART station and you also need to add that to your travel plans when the free shuttle is not in operation which is by 5pm.

Perhaps you have a car which will then not require you to use Public transportation.

Good luck

Edited: 4:07 pm, July 17, 2012
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 1,761
3. Re: Is A Hotel in Emeryville a safe location for tourists?

Emeryville is a fine safe community to stay in. There are nice restaurants, stores, and a very good public food market.

http://publicmarketemeryville.com/

The only complaint I have heard is that since it is close to the railroad, some light sleepers tend to complain about some train noise (others just sleep through it; and railroad fans delight in it.).

Oakland has good parts and bad parts - and it sounds like you are not even planning to go there. So the concern is invalid.

There are pluses of staying in San Francisco such as being able to enjoy the ambiance and charm of San Francisco and being able to come and go from the hotel during the day. It would feel more like a San Francisco vacation by staying in San Francisco.

How are you getting into San Francisco - it would be most cost effective to take BART as parking rates, bridge tolls, etc. can easily add $50.00 or more for your day in San Francisco. (Note: It is about as high as the parking rates at most hotels in San Francisco - and as such, there is usually little advantage between staying in San Francisco and paying the hotel parking rates; or driving to San Francisco and paying the bridge and parking rates albeit the public parking lots charge more like $15.00 most people tend to park at 2 or more parking lots to see more of San Francisco.

Have a good time whatever you decide - but staying in Emeryville is very safe - and you will actually on a clear day get the best views of the San Francisco Skyline by staying in the East Bay. (note: I say on a clear day as sometimes the fog is so dense you cannot even see the buildings from the East Bay)...

Have a good trip.

Edited: 4:52 pm, July 17, 2012
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
4. Re: Is A Hotel in Emeryville a safe location for tourists?

1. If you want to see San Francisco, it's best to stay in San Francisco.

2. Emeryville is not Oakland. Emeryville is safe. So is Oakland. There are bad neighborhoods in San Francisco too. It's just easy for people to label all of Oakland unsafe because they are too lazy to drive across a bridge and take a look around.

3. The best way to get between Emeryville and San Francisco is to take the AC Transit Transbay bus, not BART. You'll want to use Route F, although other (lettered, not numbered) routes can also be of help during rush hour. See http://www.actransit.org for details.

4. Hope you have a great time in SF!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 1,761
5. Re: Is A Hotel in Emeryville a safe location for tourists?

Davdaven is correct about the F bus (sorry - its bit a bit since I've been on the F bus but its the best way to go). Sorry for forgetting this in my post....

Thanks Davdaven. - just wanting to let them know I agree so they don't get confused. Have a good day.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
6. Re: Is A Hotel in Emeryville a safe location for tourists?

Davdaven -- Humm, I guess the hotel should also update their transportation options on their page to add ACTransit.

By the way the OP is from Ontario (I presume Canada and not California) and says a friend told him/her about Oakland -- It was not someone from SF who is too lazy to drive around Oakland -- LOL. By the way moi was there a couple of weeks ago and personally I am fine with going there for dinner or the theatre. I love love to have breakfast at Brown Sugar kitchen. Up until a year ago I used to go to Oakland once a week for work and just as I would not go to a few parts of SF with the family, I won't do the same in parts of Oakland

The DW for some strange reason likes to visit Emeryville for some strange reason -- shopping and to that I say EEESH

Edited: 6:30 pm, July 17, 2012
San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
7. Re: Is A Hotel in Emeryville a safe location for tourists?

Charm is not an Emeryville thing. Their claim to fame is a tax scheme that attracted a whole bunch of chain stores that you can see across urban America. They have a bunch of big box hotels that attract people who are too scared to sleep in San Francisco. I wouldn't venture too late from my hotel there (like after 10 pm)

Give SF another try, you'll be so much happier in the end.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
8. Re: Is A Hotel in Emeryville a safe location for tourists?

Yes, belomiser, I was just making a general comment about how Oakland is addressed in the media. The news never says, "Oh, that shooting happened in East Oakland," but in San Francisco they are sure to emphasize, "Oh, that shooting happened in Hunters Point."

In any case, 905juliet, do report back and let us know how your plans went.

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 36
9. Re: Is A Hotel in Emeryville a safe location for tourists?

Quote " 3. The best way to get between Emeryville and San Francisco is to take the AC Transit Transbay bus, not BART. You'll want to use Route F, although other (lettered, not numbered) routes can also be of help during rush hour. See http://www.actransit.org for details."

Can you give me more details on this route.. how long would it take and cost?

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 36
10. Re: Is A Hotel in Emeryville a safe location for tourists?

Oh after looking closely I found the F route but not sure that stops near the hotel I will be at..Four Points Sheraton on Powell St.