We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental OAK-LAX

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Car rental OAK-LAX

We are planning a 3 day trip along Hgwy1. Our flight arrives in Oakland airport at 10:00PM and we will be renting a car from there to LAX airport. The rental charges are steep as the drop-off location is different. I am looking for suggestions to bring down this cost. Shall we stay in Oakland for the night and pick it from a non-airport location in morning? Otherwise we were planning to drive to Monterey at night. As a different question, is it advisable to do this drive at night?

Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Car rental OAK-LAX

You have to do your homework with rental car prices, deals codes etc. Check out hertz.com and you will see a deal there which wavies one way drop off fees. The area around OAK airport wrt hotels is not my fav area to spend the night so if it were me and you are ok to drive at 10 I would rent a car and either drive to Monterey or stop enroute at a motel in San Jose -- Having USA in the profile does not seem to help us -- if you were coming in from LA I would say drive, if you are coming in from say Boston I would say find a hotel enroute and sleep as it will be late in the original time zone

google coupons and code to see how to bring your rate down.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
2. Re: Car rental OAK-LAX

The prices of one-way car rentals vary widely, and you need to do a lot of your own research to find a good deal. Not even the past experiences of other travelers is indicative of what the costs will be.

Renting from off-airport offices can save you a lot of money. However, be sure to stick with a reputable firm. Also keep in mind that off-airport rental facilities have fewer car options.

Considering your late arrival, I see no point in driving to Monterey the first night. I recommend booking a hotel near the airport. The area near the airport is nothing to write home about, but it's perfectly fine for an evening. You could consider something like the San Leandro Marina Inn if you want something a little nicer but still near the airport.

If you spend the night near the airport, you may save some money picking up the rental car the next morning.

Also consider dropping your car off somewhere other than LAX. You could use BUR (Burbank Airport), for example, as it is more convenient in many cases. Another option to consider is dropping the car off downtown or in another neighborhood. LAX has several "Flyaway" buses that run to/from the airport frequently from various locations.

Houston, Texas
3. Re: Car rental OAK-LAX

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. we will pick up the car from a non-airport location in oakland and drop it in LA downtown.

Houston, Texas
4. Re: Car rental OAK-LAX

We will be coming from Houston.

I have looked at the discounts and pricing and have finally booked Advantage from Oakland airport to LAX for $340. As suggested, the prices were low for the non-airport location but we thought it is better to pick the car directly so that we are delayed in morning.

5. Re: Car rental OAK-LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 18, 2013