We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of Attending Oakland A's Game

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Safety of Attending Oakland A's Game

I am visiting the Bay area in late May with my wife and two girls. I've got tickets to an evening Yankees - A's game. The online travel advice is not very flattering of the coliseum area, to say the least. We will be driving in from the south to attend the game. Assuming I'm OK with paying for stadium parking and dealing with the post-game traffic, are there any safety concerns? My wife wants me to get rid of the tickets after reading online posts. Also - how early do we need to arrive to assure ourselves a parking spot on a Friday evening and is there any particular lot that is best for exiting to the southbound interstate after the game?

Thanks in advance.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 2
1. Re: Safety of Attending Oakland A's Game

A's games are absolutely safe. It's the Raiders games that people get nervous about.

Traffic into and out of the Coliseum is a nightmare, no matter what lot you're in. I always take BART to any event at the Oakland Coliseum or Arena next door.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 25
2. Re: Safety of Attending Oakland A's Game

I either take BART, or park in the BART parking lot. It's as safe as any place to see a baseball game; you will be surrounded by other baseball fans. We go all the time with no worries.

Park a mile away in a side alley and walk back by yourself at night...well, that's another story.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 68
3. Re: Safety of Attending Oakland A's Game

We have no problems going to A's games either. Don't worry. Yeah, the neighborhood around the park isn't good, but you won't be going to that neighborhood, you'll be going to the game.

We usually take BART, but parking isn't a problem. If you drive, do park in the lots attached to the park rather than trying to save 20 bucks or whatever and getting free parking.

San Jose, CA
4. Re: Safety of Attending Oakland A's Game

We used to have season tickets to the A's but due to the economy and 2 little girls who'd rather play at the tot area, we had to give them up. My husband and I (living in the San Jose area) we would park at the Fremont BART station and ride BART to the game. There are lots of people taking BART at the same time.

I'd agree with the other posters, you can safely attend an A's game. It's Raider games that are frightening, and not being a Raider fan, I don't go anyway.... If you wear Yankee gear you'll get some good natured taunting unless you happen to sit near drunk, young fans, that might take it a little too far with their mouths. Security is pretty good during the game. I've seen people taken out that were being disruptions.

We always enjoyed ourselves and mostly kept our eyes open for the fly balls.

Austin, Texas
5. Re: Safety of Attending Oakland A's Game

Thanks for the advice. We don't have any Yankees gear to wear anyway.

London
reviews: 189
6. Re: Safety of Attending Oakland A's Game

Throw on your Yankees gear and have fun! I've been to several Raider games on the road, always in silver and black Raiders gear, cheer for your team, be respectful to other fans and no worries, enjoy the game!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 109
7. Re: Safety of Attending Oakland A's Game

Our Boys went 2 nights ago to the game with their friends and without us and we did not have any concerns about them going

While the ^&&^% Yankees may have more fans in the Bay Area or folks who want to want to see their sluggers, that ballpark does not get packed. If you do drive, it is 880 that is the choke point to go to the game but after the game you should be ok if you park in the lot.

Dorris, California...
reviews: 14
8. Re: Safety of Attending Oakland A's Game

I never had a problem with safety at A's games. Just be aware of your surroundings since there are some bad neighborhoods close to the Coliseum. Major police presence on game days. Best if you take BART or park at Coliseum. Stay close to Nimitz Freeway when travelling. Don't take any risks by driving on city streets, especially at night, in an area your'e not familiar with.

If you go to a Raiders game, don't wear any other NFL team gear-especially Denver Broncos. Fan will really get on your case for that.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 109
9. Re: Safety of Attending Oakland A's Game

Err Mike L. this post is from March and then posted on again (by me and others in May). Not sure why it merits another thread in August

California
reviews: 12
10. Re: Safety of Attending Oakland A's Game

LOL maybe just looking for a place to make his first forum post.