We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A's v. Yankees

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
A's v. Yankees

We are visiting the area in May and would like to see the A's play the Yankees. Back East where we live, the Yankees are a big draw. Are they in CA? I know the single game tickets go on sale in a few weeks. Do we have a chance at getting seats? I should add that the game is on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. Actually, that brings me to another question. Memorial Day is a big summer holiday here. Is it like that there? Is finding rooms at the beach going to be an issue?

Thanks for your help.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: A's v. Yankees

Surprised that a person from Philly is a big Yankee fan. That team has a either you hate em or love em standing and I would think there are more in the don't care category. Getting tickets should not be an issue

Memorial day does get crowded in the bay Area but the concept of crowded beaches during Summer is more Southern Ca than here given how cold the ocean is here

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 709
2. Re: A's v. Yankees

You will definitely be able to get seats to the game - no problem.

Since its Memorial Day it might sell out a day before (but odds are not).

Our beaches are more like: grab the coat, dress in layers, and have the blanket type places to stay. However, given that, if beach areas you are looking for are Pt. Reyes, Monterey, Carmel, or Santa Cruz it can become harder to find a room about two weeks ahead of Memorial Day. On Memorial Day itself if our weather is good, it can be difficult to find a place in these places. San Francisco in general is popular - but no good places to stay directly on the beach.

Philadelphia...
3. Re: A's v. Yankees

Thanks for the quick answer. We are actually Philly fans, but are more interested in seeing another ballpark.....and I like the Yankees a bit too. Unfortunately the Giants are out of town when we are there. So, do you think we could actually get tickets at the ballpark that day as I read in a previous post, or should I get them in advance? Thanks again.

Philadelphia...
4. Re: A's v. Yankees

Thanks mini. Just a quick question. Can you give me an idea of how long it would take to drive, along the coast, from San Fran to Monterey/Carmel? We don't want to take the freeway as we want time to stop and see the sights.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
5. Re: A's v. Yankees

The Oakland ballpark -- especially in its baseball configuration -- is nothing to write home about. Certainly nothing to travel 2500 miles to see. So if you choose to go, be sure it's a game you're really interested in seeing because the park is almost a reason not to go. (The product that the As are putting on the field is another, but I suppose not a down side to a Yankee fan.)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 709
6. Re: A's v. Yankees

In terms of driving from San Francisco to Monterey/Carmel, it will take about 3 hours (maybe a bit longer- since its very popular there will be a fair amount of holiday traffic. Now, if you want to mosey and see different places during the drive .....i.e. stop at the ocean, stop for lunch in Santa Cruz, see the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, and then end up in Monterey it could take better part of a day to do it. Its a gorgeous drive....and enjoyable.

Regarding the game, since its the Friday before the holiday, I would think you could buy tickets the day of. But to be sure you have tickets, I would just buy them on line on the A's Web site. Sometime we can get good deals on other web sites such as www.goldstar.com

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 3
7. Re: A's v. Yankees

A few years ago the A's vs. Yankees or Red Sox would have sold out the Oakland Coliseum, but that doesn't happen anymore.

Edited: 2:00 am, January 18, 2012
Williston, Ohio
reviews: 1
8. Re: A's v. Yankees

I too am considering an A's game as well as a Giants game during my vacation. However, the schedule I'm looking at does not show the A's playing the Yankees on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. It shows the As out-of-town, at Houston. They are home on Memorial Day to host the Giants in inter-league play. You may want to double check before planning a trip around this game.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
9. Re: A's v. Yankees

This thread is from last year.

Williston, Ohio
reviews: 1
10. Re: A's v. Yankees

Ooops, boy do I feel stupid! :)