We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to and from an A's game

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midland, UK
reviews: 1
Travelling to and from an A's game

Hi, my wife and I are staying in SF (Broderick Street near Fishermans Wharf) in August and really fancy going to an A's game - would really appreciate answers to 2 quick questions please. (i) We can either go to a 12.35pm game in the afternoon or an evening game, which is better experience / atmostphere? and (ii) should I drive there (have a hire car) or is there an easier way to get to and from the ground on public transport? Many thanks for your help - much appreciated!! Paul

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Travelling to and from an A's game

Is there a specific reason that you want to see the A's across the Bay in Oakland whereas the Giants are in the same city.

You may be an As fan so that is perfectly ok ;-). For a whole lot of reasons which are not right for this forum there are plenty of seats available for most games and the day games look like they could need a lot more people. You will see more folks for the evening games. You can take the Muni to the Embarcadero area and take bart at Embarcadero to the game and Bart back.

Not worth renting a car just for this -- traffic and all. It wil be warmer during the day for sure and easy to get back after the day game

Midland, UK
2. Re: Travelling to and from an A's game

Thanks a lot for the response - appreciated. Just really wanted to take in a baseball game but the Giants aren't in town on the dates we are there - hence the A's instead (only second choice due to ease of location!). Are the reasons you mention to do with the A's team and politics rather the stadium / area etc.?? Hopefully still a good tourist experience to do whilst in the area? Thanks again

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
3. Re: Travelling to and from an A's game

The stadium is ok to go to especially with all the crowds going there to the game -- that should not be an issue. If you can splurge for club level seats If you have never been to a Ballpark in the US, unlike a cricket match (not the 20 over ones the long 5 day test matches or the ODI) the game is played in about 3 hours and you will see some great pitching by the As. There is a movie about the As coming out soon -- starring Brad Pitt

I would get tickets behind center plate if possible so you can experience the game and the fans.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
4. Re: Travelling to and from an A's game

Our reservations about the A's games, or at least my reservations, have to do with the stadium itself. It is one of the oldest ballparks in the country, and it's shared with the Oakland Raiders football team, so it isn't really the best design for baseball watching.

That said, you can have a fun, affordable time if you go. Do try for better seats here, as the cheap ones may be quite far away from the action. AT&T Park in San Francisco doesn't really have this problem since it was designed for baseball rather than football.

Will you be stopping in any other cities while visiting? San Diego, for example, also has a very nice ballpark. Baseball fans would be able to provide you with further recommendations.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
5. Re: Travelling to and from an A's game

Hmmmm, Broderick Street is NOT near Fisherman's Wharf ... the closest section of it is in the Marina -- 2 miles away!

If you are planning on doing this, let us know which game you plan on attending (day or evening) and exactly where you're staying. And if you post on the SF forum, you'll get a faster response.

Midland, UK
6. Re: Travelling to and from an A's game

Thanks for your input both - which is really appreciated!

We are also going to LA as part of the trip and the Anaheim Angels are in town when we are there (unfortunately the Dodgers aren't) vs. Chicago White Sox. My firend who knows a bit about baseball thinks we should try and take this in rather than the A's game ("rally monkey" was mentioned!) - would you both agree?

Also RamlinSal - thanks for comment on Broderick Street location - I think iit is about 3 miles from Fisherman's wharf? Is BS generally a nice place to stay and a good location (haven't paid for accomodation yet and could switch!). Many thanks as always!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
7. Re: Travelling to and from an A's game

I took a look at the A's calendar. I guess they'll be playing the Orioles when you're here, right? A's vs. Orioles or Angels vs. the White Sox? Man, they both sound pretty boring to me. (Maybe I'm more of a National League and less of an American League guy after all?) To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a strong rivalry between either set of teams, so people probably won't be that engaged in either game. Now if it were A's vs. Angels you would get a good show!

In any event, this is what I have to say: The Angels stadium is nicer, but it's going to be a lot easier to get to an A's game. The Angels play in Anaheim, which is not even in Los Angeles County, so it may be difficult to get there depending upon where exactly you are staying.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
8. Re: Travelling to and from an A's game

I enjoy going to As games, old stadium and all. Transportation there is really easy with BART.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
9. Re: Travelling to and from an A's game

<<Is BS generally a nice place to stay and a good location (haven't paid for accomodation yet and could switch!). Many thanks as always!>>

Broderick is almost completely residential so I'm not sure where you might be staying. Lombard Street crosses Broderick and has many motels along it of varying quality. Most are nice but there are a couple of fleabags. (Stay away from the Bridge Motel for instance.) The area there is nice (since I only live 2 blocks away!) with many local shops and restaurants along Chestnut (Marina) and Union (Cow Hollow).

If you would like specific feedback on the area or place you're staying, you might repost on the SF forum.

Edited: 10:52 am, July 15, 2011
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
10. Re: Travelling to and from an A's game

If you are spending time in Orange County for the day or a few more days, I would suggest doing a trip to the beach -- my fav is laguna beach and then catching the evening game at Angels Stadium. I prefer that stadium to the As place -- you will have fun day and evening. You will need a car though for sure