We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coliseum BART Station?

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alaska
reviews: 6
Coliseum BART Station?

How dangerous is it being in and around this Station in the evening, let's say 9-10pm? Will it be easy to a catch Taxi from here at this time of day?

Thanks.

Edited: 6:56 pm, July 08, 2011
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 41
1. Re: Coliseum BART Station?

IN and AROUND are two different things.

IN the station, you'll be fine. It is staffed and there will be other passengers. The AirBART shuttle runs between this station and OAK airport. If you're attending a game or event at the Coliseum, it's across the street and there is a pedestrian bridge, so you don't even have to watch for traffic, and you'll be among lots of people

AROUND the station is not a good area. Do not go exploring around the streets outside.

Alaska
reviews: 6
2. Re: Coliseum BART Station?

I have a hotel a mile or two from the Coliseum Station. Will it be hard to catch a Taxi from this location in the evening? Is there a Taxi stand there? Any other tips or recommendations?

Thanks.

San Francisco...
3. Re: Coliseum BART Station?

There aren't taxis that can readily be hailed in that area. It would be very coincidental if you ran into one. There is only one night game during the dates which you will be visiting. When there are night games it should substantially help with safety concerns.

Your best bet is to take the shuttle back to the airport and get a hotel shuttle from there if your hotel offers one. If not, then cab it from the airport or perhaps there is a hotel nearby that offers a shuttle that you can use and walk the rest of the way. Obviously, it will be time consuming just to go through this process and it could potentially be close to an hour to travel a mile or two.

Exactly where is your hotel if you don't mind saying. Perhaps it's within a reasonable walking distance. Or perhaps there are other suitable ways to get there depending on exactly where you are going. As previously stated, I would not be heading back at 9-10 PM but try to get back by 6-7 PM ideally, and hunker down in the hotel for the night.

--
reviews: 2
4. Re: Coliseum BART Station?

baseball1951 writes>>....I would not be heading back at 9-10 PM but try to get back by 6-7 PM ideally, and hunker down in the hotel for the night.<<

Good grief, at that point the trip loses any veneer of a vacation and becomes a trip to prison.

1. Without knowing WHERE the hotel is in this "mile or two" from the Coliseum this is pure fear-mongering.

2. IF the hotel was situated in such a combat-zone that such an extreme measure needed to be taken the OP should indeed abandon any deposits or prepayments for the hotel and move to somewhere sane, an action that you strenuously argued against in the OPs other message thread on the topic tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k462236…

Ladies & Gentlemen, reality has left the building.....

San Francisco...
5. Re: Coliseum BART Station?

Caffiend,

First off, I don't see where I "strenuously argued" anything in that post. All I said was that some people may not have the financial wherewithal to just book multiple rooms. I imagine that finances are a big deal to the OP which is why they would consider staying so far away from SF in the first place. It's not for you or anyone to decide for someone else what they should do. Plenty of people have done what the OP has done.

Secondly, virtually all of the Oakland airport hotels are situated in one area just west of 880. That area is fine and no one labeled it a "combat-zone" so just chill out with the hyperbolic overreaction. The area just around the station leaves a lot to be desired and if the OP is going to be staying out there, they should minimize the risk as much as possible.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
6. Re: Coliseum BART Station?

Agree with caffiend. baseball1951 scolded me on the other thread, only to come here and agree with me on the inconvenience and unsuitability of the hotel location on this one.

baseball1951: this is an open forum and we give our opinions as we wish and see fit within TA guidelines.

And the OP hasn't been heard from since.

San Francisco...
7. Re: Coliseum BART Station?

RamblinSal,

I did not "scold" you but rather posited a legitimate perspective as to why some people may not be able to just ditch their hotel. Not everyone has the same types of means. And there is nothing inconsistent between what I said in the original thread or this one. I had already mentioned in my very first post on this topic (on the other thread) about the safety issue associated with the BART location so your implication that I "only (came) here and agree with (you)" is utterly ridiculous.

As for being an open forum, I totally agree with you on that and one should be allowed to post as much or as little as they feel like. But just as much as you "wish" to give your opinion, I gave you mine. Is that okay?

As for the OP s/he has no obligation whatsoever to be heard from again if that's what they want.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 41
8. Re: Coliseum BART Station?

Sorry, bushflyer, sometimes we go off on tangents and your OQ doesn't get a specific answer.

baseball1951's question is valid, because the exact hotel location can help locals help you.

Also, I think we want to know your reason for picking an OAK Airport or Coliseum hotel. Is this trip for business or another purpose that requires you be there? If you plan to use it as a base for a San Francisco vacation because the rent is lower, it is not a good idea at all. You will end up spending your rent savings (and big chunks of precious time) on transportation, and when you get to S.F. and see what you're missing by staying in Oakland, you won't be happy. So if this was your intent, let us know soon so we can help you with alternative ideas.

Edited: 4:24 pm, July 09, 2011
--
reviews: 2
9. Re: Coliseum BART Station?

Sorry baseball1951, but statements you make in different postings are completely inconsistent. As an example, in your original posting in this message thread you stated "I would not be heading back at 9-10 PM but try to get back by 6-7 PM ideally, and hunker down in the hotel for the night.". In your followup posting, after being challenged you state "That area is fine and no one labeled it a "combat-zone" so just chill out with the hyperbolic overreaction. The area just around the station leaves a lot to be desired and if the OP is going to be staying out there, they should minimize the risk as much as possible.". Any area which would require that you "hunker down" in your room before it's even dark in order to "minimize the risk as much as possible" does qualify as a combat-zone and unfit for anybody's vacation, at least in the conventional sense of the word.

As for your comments about an "open forum" it appears that your idea is open is that postings are welcome as long as they're limited in number and content so as not to cast yours as being in the extreme minority or fringe or to identify the absurdity of some of your statements.

Edited: 12:32 pm, July 10, 2011
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
10. Re: Coliseum BART Station?

Who knows if OP is even reading this anymore. But in case s/he is, I have a comment on navigating to/from the hotel.

There is no need to stress out about this part of your "commute." The area surrounding the Coliseum BART Station is bad, but the station itself is okay. The real problem area is *east* of the station, and you will be traveling *west* towards your hotel. The overall areas is quiet, though, so I don't recommend walking between the station and your hotel, especially after dark.

Taxis are usually available at the station. Taking AirBART is unnecessary, even if you decide to use the bus instead of a taxi. Simply take AC Transit Route 73 to your hotel. Route 73 has the exact same route as the AirBART shuttle, except it makes local stops and only costs $2 instead of $3. Using AirBART would be inconvenient *and* more expensive. Here is AC Transit information: http://www.actransit.org

P.S. Depending upon which hotel exactly you are staying in, AC Transit Routes 45 or 98 may be additional options.

P.P.S. If you haven't already paid for your hotel, I recommend canceling your reservation and booking yourself at a hotel in another area. There are affordable hotel options elsewhere in the East Bay--in Oakland, Alameda, Emeryville, and Berkeley--and you can probably find a good budget-friendly San Francisco hotel option on Hotwire for 3 people. The Oakland Airport hotels really only "work" if you are using the airport or going to a game/show at the Coliseum, as there are limited visitor amenities in the area.

Edited: 1:32 pm, July 11, 2011