We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Oakland to SFO in middle of the night?

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, California
reviews: 25
Transport from Oakland to SFO in middle of the night?

Hi. Any suggestions for a reliable (and affordable?) way to get to SFO from Oakland hills for family of 4? Flight check-in is at 4:30 AM for 6:30 AM flight to Newark. So far the affordable but not very comfortable option I found is taking last BART from Rockridge at 12:30 arriving SFO 1:30 and sitting around the rest of the night at SFO. 1-way car rentals runs about $140 vs. $35 for BART. Thanks!

Berkeley, Ca.
reviews: 73
1. Re: Transport from Oakland to SFO in middle of the night?

Do you really need to be there at 4:30? On a weekday, the first train leaves Rockridge at 4:35 and gets to the airport at 5:28. That gives you an hour to get to and board the flight. At Oakland airport that would be more than enough time, I'm less experienced with SFO early in the morning.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
2. Re: Transport from Oakland to SFO in middle of the night?

Are you traveling on a weekday? If so, just take the first train of the day. You'll have an hour to make your flight, which should be plenty of time that early in the morning.

Oakland, California
reviews: 25
3. Re: Transport from Oakland to SFO in middle of the night?

Thanks wanderer & davdaven for your suggestions. Unfortunately the flight is a Saturday flight. We ended up having someone drive us there at 4 AM. The line was already very long when we got there around 4:30AM! We had bags to check.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
4. Re: Transport from Oakland to SFO in middle of the night?

Oh, Saturday, I see! Well, glad you made it. I do my very best to avoid those early AM flights. It's sooo hard for me to get up early!

Berkeley, Ca.
reviews: 73
5. Re: Transport from Oakland to SFO in middle of the night?

There is middle of the night bus service, but it's pretty long and tedious, I'm glad you found a decent option.

6. Re: Transport from Oakland to SFO in middle of the night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 03, 2012