We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Across America on a Train & Plane in only 4 Days

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Across America on a Train & Plane in only 4 Days

Way ahead of time, I'm planning for me and my best friends'future trip by Amtrak's California Zephyr from Emeryville thru the mighty rockies and arrives at Denver before 7 pm the following day and then catch the flight to New York after 12 midnight. I'm wondering if we should stay for the night at Denver than take our chances with only about 6 hours lay over, and knowing Amtrak's rather needing-improvement-ontime-performance, I'm in a little bit of dilemma here cuz every day adds up on our very short vacation time off but we want to see as much as we can from west to east coast in only 4 days. My question would be, how is Amtrak's California Zephryr on-time performance? Thanks a lot for the replies.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
1. Re: Across America on a Train & Plane in only 4 Days

Here is the Train Travel forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
2. Re: Across America on a Train & Plane in only 4 Days

I took the California Zephyr to Denver in 2008. We arrived in Denver about an hour late. On-time performance varies greatly from trip to trip, though, so I would not book a flight before the next morning.

On-time performance information: www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 84
3. Re: Across America on a Train & Plane in only 4 Days

It would be helpful to know when you're taking your future trip. Most of the Zephyr's lateness is due to snow in the Sierra Nevada the first day out of Sacramento. It's tendency is to be late in the winter and close to on-time in the milder months. A late train starts at 1/2 an hour past ETA. Plan on an hour padding of time to arrive in Denver and you should be safe. Denver is a great downtown city to spend a day walking around. The airport is inconveniently locate out in the prairie.

4. Re: Across America on a Train & Plane in only 4 Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 29, 2012