We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

catching amtrak at emeryville from oakland airport in 30 min

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
catching amtrak at emeryville from oakland airport in 30 min

We ( 2 adults ) are thinking of flying into Oakland Airport by 825 am and try to catch the train at Amtrak's Emeryville Station that leaves 910 am, is that realistic or just to forget about it? Thanks for your advice.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: catching amtrak at emeryville from oakland airport in 30 min

I think that's cutting it a bit close. Google Maps says 19 minutes but at that time of the morning you'll still have commute traffic heading north to the Bay Bridge. And if your flight is not 100% on time, you're toast.

Berkeley, Ca.
reviews: 73
2. Re: catching amtrak at emeryville from oakland airport in 30 min

1. Which train are you trying to catch? -I don't see a train from Emeryville scheduled at that time.

2. This only works if everything works perfectly--your plane is on time, your cab isn't delayed by traffic etc. It's very tight.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 61
3. Re: catching amtrak at emeryville from oakland airport in 30 min

I presume you are taking the California Zephyr, correct? You probably won't be able to make it, especially if this is a weekday. Even though OAK is small, it still takes a few minutes to get out of the terminal.

If you hop straight into a cab that pulls out at 8:30, and there is no traffic, you will get to the train station at about 8:50. You should be at the train station at least 15 minutes early to board a cross-country train, which means you only have 5 minutes of wiggle room in the best case.

I recommend changing your flight time, or taking Amtrak directly from LA the previous evening.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 83
4. Re: catching amtrak at emeryville from oakland airport in 30 min

No you can't make it. I just took that cab route and it was $60.00 (I've never seen such astronomical cab rates!) and took over 1/2 hour. You can't get deplaned, out of the terminal, into a cab, up Heggenberger Rd. and to Emeryville during the morning rush hour on time to catch a 9:10 train that boards at 8:40. Have you looked into flying into Sacramento? You'd have more time. You might also try posting your Amtrak questions on the TA train travel forum.

Edited: 2:58 pm, April 20, 2011
5. Re: catching amtrak at emeryville from oakland airport in 30 min

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, October 30, 2012