We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite Park

Which Oakhurst hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
reviews: 3
Yosemite Park

Could anyone suggest a good place to stay in or near the Yosemite Park. We are going in May so guess it will be difficult to find somewhere inside the park now. Want to visit the falls and main areas of the park. Just staying 2 nights. Looking at the reviews the Yosemite Gateway Inn looks ok but just wonder if it is near enough all the attractions?

reviews: 685
1. Re: Yosemite Park

Fish Camp or Bass Lake would be closer for you. There is the Tenaya Lodge in Fish Camp that is very nice if you want a full-service resort. In Bass Lake, I like to recommend the Pines Resort, you can book one of their chalets or Spa Suties, depending on what you're looking for. The Pines is very nice with a swimming pool, jacuzzi, 2 restaurants, a small market there and a couple of antique shops, kind of like a little town village. We have enjoyed several stays here both with our family and friends and as a couple. Hope this helps you with your travel planning! :)

Newbury Park...
reviews: 27
2. Re: Yosemite Park

We have had really good stay at Tenaya Lodge. We have also stayed at the Narrow Gauge Inn right down the street from Tenaya and were pleasantly surprised. It is a small inn with clean quait rooms and great service.

California
reviews: 12
3. Re: Yosemite Park

I have stayed several times at teh Tenaya Lodge and it quite nice but it's pretty far from the valley.

Have you checked on availibility yet?

Here's a link to the park concessionaire

http://www.yosemitepark.com/

You might also look at El Portal. It's quite close to the West entrance at Arch Rock. The drive into the park wouldn't be quite as long as from Oakhurst. You could also look into staying on night at the south entrance/Oakhust and another night in the valley or close by in El Portal.

This is a great link for info on lodging:

yosemitefun.com

Another idea that I read from a traveler that I just think is the best bit of advice… If you do stay in Oakhurst then plan your visit to the furthest location in the park you want to see on the very first day. Then plan your next trip into the park to the sights not quite as far in. This way you will drive the furthest only 1 time and all the other drives will be shorter and shorter.

If on the day you arrive you have some time to see sights but not so much that you want to drive all the way into the valley you might want to do the Mariposa Grove or Wawona that first day. The next day go all the way to the valley and on your way back you can see Glacier Point and any places you missed.

Keep in mind our daylight saving time starts in mid-March so daylight will be good until 8 pm or later.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 25
4. Re: Yosemite Park

A crucial bit of missing information here- where are you starting your journey? If you are coming from SF, then the southern end of the park, and further out in Oakhurst, are really too far out of your way. These choices are better if you are coming from LA or other points south.

If you are coming from SF, the Gateway Inn is OK, or other areas around Groveland (see staynearyosemite.com.)To get even closer, as suzie said, try the Cedar or Yosemite View Lodges in El Portal.

But, before looking anywhere else, do check on availablitity within the valley otself. You may be pleasantly suprised.

York, United Kingdom
5. Re: Yosemite Park

Hi thanks for all the information

I'm still having trouble finding accommodation within the park. However we are travelling from Las Vegas direction so I'm thinking that Oakhurst might not be a bad location. Could anyone give me some ideas on what to see at Yosemite given we've only got the 2 days. Thanks for the suggestion about going the furthest into the park on the first day - makes a lot of sense - but would appreciate some help on what to head for. We're not wanting to do anything too energetic - this is my 60th birthday holiday! - just to see the natural beauty of the park would be nice - waterfalls in particular would be lovely.

Leeds, England
6. Re: Yosemite Park

Evening justjen,

We're doing the same as yourselves but from the other direction, only one day in Yosemite isn't much but I found this post helpful www.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…5767551

Bizarrely posted by yet another Yorkshireman! We're staying in Oakhurst on the way out of the park before heading to Sequoia/kings Canyon then Vegas.

Go onto the Mapquest sites to get accurate driving times between places, invaluable.

Have fun

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
reviews: 67
7. Re: Yosemite Park

Seems like it took us nearly 90 min's from Oakhurst into Yosemite Valley, but if you do end up staying in Oakhurst, we stopped by the Best Western Yosemite Gateway Inn (www.yosemitegatewayinn.com) and it looked like a pleasant place to stay if a reasonably priced motel is what you're looking for. Their rates start under $100.

Swansea
reviews: 10
8. Re: Yosemite Park

justjen,

I'm travelling from Las Vegas to Yosemite next month. I'm curious as to where you eventually stayed and if you recommend it? Haven't booked anything yet.

Regards,

Ian

9. Re: Yosemite Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 21, 2009