We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crystal Cove State Park

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Crystal Cove State Park

Is there a boardwalk or path by the beach area where someone could get a good run in?

SoCal
reviews: 7
1. Re: Crystal Cove State Park

No, sand only.

Newport Beach...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Crystal Cove State Park

I've gone running in Crystal Cove a bunch of times. There are three good options:

1. You can run along the hard packed sand close to the water. If you start near the northern end of the beach (closest to CDM), you have a long stretch of beach in front of you and a round trip is a pretty solid run. There are a few areas as you get north of the historic houses, where the beach narrows, there are rocks/tidepools etc.., which may cause you to have to run in the softer sand. But, if you run from the northern end to the historic village and back, its a nice run. If you time it for low tide, there should be plenty of hard sand to run on.

2. You can run on the patch on the bluff above the beach. This offers nice ocean views. I think, again, the best way to do it is to park at the northern end and run south. It is a paved path.

3. You can run the trails in El Moro Canyon, on the inland side of the park. This is pretty challenging trail running (steep), but offers panoramic ocean views. There is a trail that runs along the base of the canyon too, so an out-and-back run on that trail would allow you to avoid the hills. The best trail rises just past the bridge at the base (back end) of the day-use parking area across from the beach. It takes you up towards Irvine Cove, and offers unreal views.

Edited: 1:25 pm, March 27, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
3. Re: Crystal Cove State Park

Thank you! I have a race to run the Saturday after I return home, and I really despise the hampster wheel (treadmill). I appreciate the ideas. I'm not much of a trail runner, but that trail sounds like a good one for a hike and some picture taking!

4. Re: Crystal Cove State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 30, 2014