We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Malibu

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 62
Alternative to Malibu

Hi, my girlfriend and I are traveling to LA from Yosemite before heading to Vegas. We were going to spend 3 nights in Malibu before having 3 nights in Hollywood. Saw an amazing hotel in Malibu but basically the price is now ridiculous so we need to scrap that idea. I see that the hotels in Newport are also much more reasonable which is a plus.

What we're looking for is a destination by the beach, where we can simply relax for 3 days. We can't drive so will have no access to a car, therefore will be relying on public transport to get there from LAX.

We want to chill by the beach, have a few chilled walks, few relaxing drinks with nice views etc, so a pretty simple 3 days really.

Taking the above into account do you think Newport is a good choice. I've no interest in Santa Monica by the way.

Cheers

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
11. Re: Alternative to Malibu

Another problem that the OP may encounter, along with the obstacles of public transportation, is the extended "Spring break" period, during which prices go up everywhere. It may even be too late to get a good beach close hotel for their visit.

New York
reviews: 7
12. Re: Alternative to Malibu

Very good suggestions here re Laguna, Newport and Huntington. However I agree you shoud reconsider Santa Monica...it is fantastic with the beach, pier, promanade...the shuttle bus will take you everywhere including Venice. After a week last year in Newport we rented a house on the water in Malibu...beautiful as it was I was bored because you cannot walk anywhere and you are isolated so you made a good decision.If yo decide on Laguna check out the Inn at Laguna amazing view

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
13. Re: Alternative to Malibu

Newport Beach has a lot of public buses that travel the area, and has lots of great shopping options, such as Fashion Island and nearby South Coast Plaza, lots of restaurants, multiple piers, etc. That would be my first choice.

Huntington Beach has a a couple of very nice 4 diamond Resorts, the Hyatt and Hilton with great beach placement. The nearby Main Street tends to trend to a younger crowd, and is known for its sporty feel.

www.visitnewportbeach.com

www.surfcityusa.com

Manchester, United...
14. Re: Alternative to Malibu

Thanks LSCats - will book Super Shuttle this evening while in hotel in Mariposa. $64 total for 2 of us, and I guess for convenience and wanting to get to the hotel asap I'll pay that. Another forum poster advised on a very cheap way of getting from Laguna to Hollywood, so the cost of that trip should be very low.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
15. Re: Alternative to Malibu

What is your nightly budget for a hotel room?

Manchester, United...
16. Re: Alternative to Malibu

sorry mate, this was a thread from about a month ago, I just wanted to thank LSCats for info on how to get to Laguna from LAX. Got Pacific Edge, beach view for $700 for three nights, including tax, should have got it cheaper but one of their employees messed the booking up and I didn't take the booking reference.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
17. Re: Alternative to Malibu

Thanks for letting us know.

18. Re: Alternative to Malibu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 21, 2014