We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Malibu

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 58
Alternative to Malibu

Hi, my girlfriend and I are traveling to LA from Yosemite before heading to Vegas. We were going to spend 3 nights in Malibu before having 3 nights in Hollywood. Saw an amazing hotel in Malibu but basically the price is now ridiculous so we need to scrap that idea. I see that the hotels in Newport are also much more reasonable which is a plus.

What we're looking for is a destination by the beach, where we can simply relax for 3 days. We can't drive so will have no access to a car, therefore will be relying on public transport to get there from LAX.

We want to chill by the beach, have a few chilled walks, few relaxing drinks with nice views etc, so a pretty simple 3 days really.

Taking the above into account do you think Newport is a good choice. I've no interest in Santa Monica by the way.

Cheers

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
1. Re: Alternative to Malibu

Given that you want to be walking distance or bus close to everything, I suggest Laguna Beach. It is very walkable. There is a wide range of accommodations near the beach, good restaurants at every price level, and if you are coming in the summer, there is a free trolley that runs all over town.

Your car-free options in Laguna Beach would be better than in Newport Beach. But you can take OCTA Bus #1 from Laguna Beach to Newport Beach if you want to explore there, and also go on to Huntington Beach and Seal Beach to vary your beach experiences.

I suggest a shared shuttle from LAX to Laguna Beach.

You might want to reconsider Santa Monica. It's Big Blue Bus provides the best public transportation in Southern California and there are hundreds of

beach close hotels and restaurants and the beaches are excellent,

Edited: 4:18 pm, February 02, 2013
Manchester, United...
2. Re: Alternative to Malibu

Also just seen Laguna Beach now as an option as well, so it looks like my choice is Newport, Huntington or Laguna.

Also, what sold Malibu to me was this hotel with a balcony overlooking the beach, and i could just imagine chilling on the balcony with a couple of bottles of white wine and seen this place which is very reasonably priced tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g32588-d28552…

I have also looked at the Hyatt Newport Beach, but I'd imagine this place being a bit more romantic as its right on the beach?

Manchester, United...
3. Re: Alternative to Malibu

Hi LSCats - think we posted that more or less the same time, yes Laguna is looking good at the moment.

As I'm British and we never have the sun, anything over 20c is a bonus for me and I'd happy sit in that temperature which I assume will be at least that in March, but what's the score with swimming in the beach at that time, do some people swim at the end of March or is it really unbearable?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Alternative to Malibu

Jigsinsy, in March, the average HIGH air temperature will probably be about 20c (68F). March at the beach is a time of patchy clouds with a period of sun in the afternoon but cool breezes and some rain (not nearly as much as you are used to). We don't consider it swimming weather.

The ocean water temperature will be quite cold. You won't see many people swimming without a wet suit. The surfers will be out in any weather however.

seatemperature.org/north-america/united-stat…

Edited: 6:01 pm, February 02, 2013
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
5. Re: Alternative to Malibu

Getting to that area from LAX without a car is kind of a pain - why have you completely crossed Santa Monica off your list? What about Venice Beach - did you look at Hotel Erwin?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Alternative to Malibu

Regarding Pacific Edge, it was recently taken over by Joie de Vivre, a good hotel chain and they are renovating many of the rooms. However, it will take some time to get the hotel to a good standard. Some rooms are a bit worn. See the mixed reviews. The location is outstanding, however, so you may wish to stay there and be quite specific about your expectations when making your reservation.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
7. Re: Alternative to Malibu

I would not call it a "pain" to get to Laguna Beach from LAX. Prime Time and Super Shuttle are quite efficient and take about 1 hour for the trip.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
8. Re: Alternative to Malibu

By the way, don't expect beach weather in March - and know that the ocean will be too cold to swim. You might have clear days with sun, however, it could easily be raining.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
9. Re: Alternative to Malibu

Jigs, what is your price point for a hotel at the beach?

The Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach, a few miles south of LAX has rooms starting at $130 and is just up from the ocean with beautiful sunset views.. It's an easy taxi ride to this SoCal beach town. The hotel includes free use of their bikes to ride any portion of the 22 mile bike path along the strand. Lots of shops, pubs and restaurants in walking distance. The MB Pier is a mile down the boardwalk and bike path.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/index.htm

Manhattan Beach:

www.youtube.com/watch…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
10. Re: Alternative to Malibu

I would look first in Manhattan Beach and then Hermosa Beach before going all the way down to Newport or Laguna.

In Mnahattan Beach I'd choose the Shade Hotel over the SeaView and look at the Beach House in Hermosa.

http://www.shadehotel.com/

www.beach-house.com/hermosa-beach-hotels.html