We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort at Pelican Hills or Balboa Beach Club

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
Resort at Pelican Hills or Balboa Beach Club

Hello!

I am flying into LAX early march with college daughter. We are both very active and want to do more than lounge around on vacay. Biking, hiking, ziplining at Catalina, and of course enjoying beautiful views and great food! I have been searching for days for the best place to stay.I've been looking all down the coast from Terranea[Palos verdes] to Balboa!

REMDOG you seem to have good advice?? thank you!!!

maria

houston

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 342
1. Re: Resort at Pelican Hills or Balboa Beach Club

I assume you mean the Balboa Bay Club, but how is the choice between these two? One is a high end luxury property, the other a fair to middling place that was formerly a private club. I know the Bay Club is highly ranked on TA, but I doubt it would be in my top five in Newport Beach.

The Resort at Pelican Hill would be an easy call, but the other luxury property I'd consider is The Island Hotel in Fashion Island/Newport Center. It used to be a Four Seasons hotel until the Irvine Company, the hotels owner, decided to run it on their own. It is still a pretty good place.

I'd even take the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa over the Bay Club. I would say the Montage and Ritz Carlton too, but they may be further south than you want.

Edited: 8:40 pm, January 26, 2013
New York
reviews: 7
2. Re: Resort at Pelican Hills or Balboa Beach Club

Check out rentals on VRBO Balboa Peninsula and Balboa Island as alternative to hotel..you might get some ideas

Houston
3. Re: Resort at Pelican Hills or Balboa Beach Club

Thanks for the quick responses! So is the Resort at Pelican Hills worth the price?I thought it might be catering to the golf community?

Is it conducive to renting bikes and riding around the area? From other posts on Trip Advisor it sounds like NB is a good/safe place to bike? I also wanted somewhere easy to walk around and catch the ferry to Catalina.

THANKS!!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
4. Re: Resort at Pelican Hills or Balboa Beach Club

I agree with Scott. Balboa Bay Club would not even be on my list. I've eaten there and saw one of the rooms when my cousin was there for a conference. Even on the bay side, I don't find the view very appealing. It's on a crowded boat marina, not a beach.

Pelican Bay is gorgeous and it does cater to a golf crowd but non-golfers love it too. But it's pretty quiet and you won't see many active guests.

Montage in Laguna and Ritz Carlton are great if you are in the price range of Pelican Hill but with an active college age daughter, my pick would by the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach.

The beach across from the Hyatt offers cruiser bike rentals, kite flying, surfing, etc. And Huntington Beach's pier area is the home of Olympic level volleyball players (as well as great surfing). It's fun to watch the pros but there are nets for you to enjoy yourself as well. Huntington Beach's Downtown area adjacent to the pier is very young adult oriented. Your daughter will love it. …hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-huntingtonbeach/ (BTW -- The island is the background in the web site photos is Catalina)

From there you are 15 minutes from the great restaurants in Newport Beach and about 25 from South Laguna Beach.

Houston
5. Re: Resort at Pelican Hills or Balboa Beach Club

Yes thank you I love VRBO but my daughter wants a resort type environment this time!! THANKS!!

Houston
6. Re: Resort at Pelican Hills or Balboa Beach Club

Thank you so much! And have you done the boat trip over to Catalina?? I was trying to stay somewhere close to where those catalina boats dock so i don't spend a lot of time driving to a pier. We are only there 4 days so I want to maximize my enjoyment and minimize the stress of driving!

Thanks again!

Houston
7. Re: Resort at Pelican Hills or Balboa Beach Club

Thank you! There are SO many places and TA often ranks places high that really are not. Are you familiar with the Mariott Villas next to the Pelican Hills Resort? It is still pricey but $500/night instead of $600+ at Pelican Resorts. The reviews are mixed.

Sounds like Pelican Hills is great!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
8. Re: Resort at Pelican Hills or Balboa Beach Club

That's the property scott mentioned as preferable to Balboa Bay. I concur. There you have a whole suite with kitchen. It's primarily a time share property.

It has more of a family atmosphere than the others but that's not a bad feature.

You don't have direct access to the beach like you do at the HB Hyatt but it is not far from Crystal Cove and other beaches.

SoCal
reviews: 7
9. Re: Resort at Pelican Hills or Balboa Beach Club

I don't know what your daughter is like, but when I was in college I would have preferred Huntington Beach and the Hyatt over Pelican Hill or one of the Fashion Island suggestions.

A popular area to rent bikes in NB is more down in the pier area along the ocean, not the Pelican Hill area. There is a similar set up in HB for bike rentals. I personally do not think it is very safe (risk of cars hitting you) to ride a bike except in the beach areas along the sand. People do it but I would not outside of the direct beach areas.

Pelican Hill is actually farther and will take you longer to reach the boat to Catalina than the Hyatt HB or the two hotels mentioned at Fashion Island.

If you have read any of the heated discussions about Marriott's Newport Coast Villas and the feeling of isolation, Pelican Hill is in the same area and it has the same shortcomings, you will probably drive everywhere. You can certainly walk around the general area but not really walk any where (shops and restaurants) except for Crystal Cove Beach State Park.

To clarify regarding the Marriott Scott mentioned, it is the one at Fashion Island, not the Newport Coast Villas. I think for Newport Beach Scott has good suggestions with The Island Hotel or even the Marriott at Fashion Island because you can walk to tons of restaurants and shops. Also, reaching the boat to Catalina is easy, drive onto Balboa Island and park on the island and ferry (it is a small 3 car and foot passenger ferry) over to the Peninsula or take the car on the ferry and park in one of the lots on the Peninsula. The boat to Catalina leaves right by where the ferry docks. Same for going to the beach area where you can rent bikes. You can also rent personal water craft, paddle boards, etc. in the bay.

Edited: 11:12 pm, January 26, 2013
reviews: 723
10. Re: Resort at Pelican Hills or Balboa Beach Club

We just enjoyed our second stay at The Montage in Laguna Beach. It's a wonderful place to stay. :).