We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balboa Peninsula or Huntington Beach?

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NewJersey
reviews: 10
Balboa Peninsula or Huntington Beach?

Looking to spend 5 days in OC in May and torn between two places we've found on VRBO..one in Huntington Beach, the other on Balboa Peninsula. Would appreciate any feedback :)

NewJersey
reviews: 10
1. Re: Balboa Peninsula or Huntington Beach?

I'd like to add I have passed through Huntington Beach once and like the fact, I could ride my bike and walk to "town"..not sure what the situation is at Balboa Peninsula..and if Balboa Peninsula is part of Newport Beach?

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 23
2. Re: Balboa Peninsula or Huntington Beach?

The B. P.is, infact, part of Newport Beach and McFadden Square, on the Peninsula, was Newport''s original "Downtown". As I mentioned earlier, you can ride your bike on the bikepath all over the area. You can ride your bike from the 'World Famous Wedge" at the southern end of the Peninsula all the way to DT. Huntington. Of course, that means you could also ride all the way from Huntington to Newport, about 7 miles if you wish. Your bike will get you to the grocery store, restaurants, the Harbor and just about any other place you'd like to go in Newport Go to: www.visitnewportbeach.com and check the interactive map on the site. It should help you see everywhere you can go. BTW, you can ask them to send you a free copy of the booklet. You should get it in plenty of time for your trip. Or, assuming you are flying into Orange County John Wayne Airport (SNA), you could also pick up a copy in the airport, usually easy to find in the baggage claim area.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
3. Re: Balboa Peninsula or Huntington Beach?

Balboa, definitely.

There are many places in Huntington Beach that are not at all beachy and are just part of a flat dull suburb.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
4. Re: Balboa Peninsula or Huntington Beach?

It really depends on the exact location of each VRBO, there are some great VRBO's, and some not so great.

Love both locations, if the Balboa Peninsula is facing the Pacific Ocean, that would be my choice. If not, and the VRBO is near the Huntington Beach Pier, I would opt for that location...

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 152
5. Re: Balboa Peninsula or Huntington Beach?

Without providing the exact address (for security reasons), if you can provide the major cross streets near the properties or the VRBO #s, we can give you more information.

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 23
6. Re: Balboa Peninsula or Huntington Beach?

HI Cats:

Here is a You Tube video called 'Things to do in Newport Beach which focuses on the Peninsula so it may be of interest to you and your situation. It runs almost 30 minutes with additional videos available on the page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2xF1eMnnWw

Newport Beach...
7. Re: Balboa Peninsula or Huntington Beach?

Newport Beach is your best bet. There is so much more to do, a huge harbor to go paddle boarding, cruise on a duffy boat, etc. Plus the restaurants, bike paths and everything else is much more extensive. Check out: VisitNewportBeach.com.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 378
8. Re: Balboa Peninsula or Huntington Beach?

It depends on several factors, the exact location of the rental in Huntington Beach, your ages, who will be traveling, etc.

If you are young and the rental in HB is near the HB Pier, then HB might be better, assuming you wanted a lively nightlife.

If you are a family, the Peninsula might be better.

But as with all things it comes down to location, location,location.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 152
9. Re: Balboa Peninsula or Huntington Beach?

Freeskier -- While you are correct about activities available in Newport Beach, all of the listed activities are also available in Huntington Beach. It is a subjective comparison. Each city has its own vibe. I wouldn't call either "best."

The OP needs to decide which might be more desirable to her family.

Here is the visitor bureau video on Huntington Beach: http://vtour.govtour.com/vtour.php?tid=9628#

Edited: 3:04 pm, January 10, 2013
New York
reviews: 7
10. Re: Balboa Peninsula or Huntington Beach?

I have stayed in both Huntington and Newport and love both but Newport is a better location...prettier and more to do. Check the rentals on VRBO on the peninsula and Balboa Island. We rented a house on Balboa and it was just wonderul. You can daytrip to Huntington and watch the surfers it's only a few minutes away.