We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to travel to CA with wife and three kids(13,9,6)

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 6
Looking to travel to CA with wife and three kids(13,9,6)

Good morning. My wife and I are looking to go to CA in August of 2013. We have never been to the West coast, so I am looking for some input/ideas on where to go and stay. I do NOT mind doing some touristy things. FWIW, one of my wife's co-workers mentioned the San Diego or Newport area. We prefer Marriott's. Any input/advice would greatly be appreciated. THANKS!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
11. Re: Looking to travel to CA with wife and three kids(13,9,6)

We enjoy weekends at the Marriott Newport Beach. So much to do in the area , great restaurants and shopping, theaters.

A week or 10 days would be too much time there. I'd break up your trip to the north to Santa Monica or south in San Diego if you want to stay by the beach.

12. Re: Looking to travel to CA with wife and three kids(13,9,6)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, January 06, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
13. Re: Looking to travel to CA with wife and three kids(13,9,6)

>>>It's EXACTLY 1/3 of a mile from the entrance to NCV, on Newport Coast Dr., to the entrance to Crystal Cove State<<<

Awesome.

But from the front entrance of the NCV to the front entrance of the State Park doesn't get you to the BEACH or to a villa.

>>> Please learn them and use them in a positive manner <<<

Seriously? After your "you don't sound like you even live in NB" crack you want to play nice?

I was involved in the NCV project since it was ink on paper in 1993 in its DVC days so please, no lectures.

Your mind is anything, but open. You seem crazy obsessed with Crystal Cove and the Newport Coast Villas.

I offered THREE Marriott properties to be looked at, the Ritz, NB Marriott AND the NCV and gave my view of the pluses and minuses of each as I see them.

The forum is to offer options for the original poster, not drive some personal agenda.

14. Re: Looking to travel to CA with wife and three kids(13,9,6)

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, December 15, 2012
Portola Hills, CA
reviews: 16
15. Re: Looking to travel to CA with wife and three kids(13,9,6)

You can read this blog for ideas on things to do in Southern California with children:

http://daytrippingmom.com/

Santa Ana
reviews: 11
16. Re: Looking to travel to CA with wife and three kids(13,9,6)

Newport Beach (NB) is a good option. SNA airport is only 10 minutes away or about $20 cab fare one way. Long Beach airport is a little further away, about 25 minutes, and JetBlue flies there.

NB is between San Diego and Los Angeles so it can be your base to visit Southern California. It is only 20 minutes from Disneyland and there is much going on around the area during the summer. The City of Newport is very pretty and clean.

There are several Marriot hotels in the area: Marriott NB Hotel & Spa, Marriott Back Bay, Marriott the Villas at Newport Coast, Marriot Costa Mesa and Marriott Irvine besides all the other hotel brands they have under its portfolio i.e. Courtyard, Residences Inn. Also, you will be able to find other nice hotels around like the Montage, St Regis, Pelican Hill Resort , The Island Hotel and the Fairmont.

Whatever you decide I wish you and your family you have a good time in the West Coast. One last thing, Southern California is about 4 hours from Las Vegas, I know many people like to make the trip when they are in the area. It could be too much but some people do.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
17. Re: Looking to travel to CA with wife and three kids(13,9,6)

Not sure I would take the three young kids to Las Vegas, I think more time in Southern California, maybe San Diego, would be a better choice for the entire family.

New York
reviews: 6
18. Re: Looking to travel to CA with wife and three kids(13,9,6)

Let me weigh in as a tourist who has been to Calif many times. The state is beautiful and has so much to see it is impossible to do in a single trip. The best thing to do is pick an area. If you pick the L.A. area the best place to stay is on the beach in Santa Monica. From there you can daytrip to Venice, Hollywood, Universal, Malibu. The area being discussed on this board, Newport is fantastic and I've been there several times. This is a trip in itself...you can base yourself here and daytrip to Laguna, Huntington and Disneyland. Do some research. The best place to stay, I think is on Balboa Peninsula, a rental on the beach or Balboa Island. The kids would love it. You can ride the bike path, go the the Fun Zone, take a harbor cruise, stroll Balboa Island. I agree that Newport Coast villas is not a good choice...it is beautiful but you are so isolated and cannot walk anywhere. I like to stroll towns, but that is me. Take a look at the place, it might be for you. The other option is San Diego. This is a great choice, it is good for families and so much to do. Besides the zoo and seaworld the beaches are fantastic. You really have to go to some of the websites. But I can guarantee, the West coast is so different from the East coast, and you will love it.

Huntington Beach...
reviews: 157
19. Re: Looking to travel to CA with wife and three kids(13,9,6)

I live in Huntington Beach, and have kids. I would be very happy to give you any advice. Seaworld, and Legoland are fun in San Diego, and there are good beaches there. Newport Beach and Huntington Beach are terrific to spend a day at. Crystal Cove is more intimate, and quaint. I think kids can walk there just fine - either from the stairs at the shake shack up above on the Pacific Coast Highway - or just use the shuttle.

Disneyland is a must - and we love Hollywood. If I have a feel for more specific interests, I would be happy to share more. Also - paced to eat.

20. Re: Looking to travel to CA with wife and three kids(13,9,6)

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, January 30, 2013