We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat ride to the wedge.

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Revelstoke, B.C.
reviews: 41
Boat ride to the wedge.

Okay, have been looking at (Google Earth) maps. What is the best way to get to The Wedge? Looks like a long bike ride thru side streets, and no real bike path. (we were going to rent bikes for the day) but do have a car, if needed.

Is there a boat tour we could do and get a good like at nice houses, see the area from the water quickly,and get to the Wedge?

We are staying at the Bay Shores Peninssula.

Thanks.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 349
1. Re: Boat ride to the wedge.

There are good boat tours from the Fun Zone Boat Company, but riding your bike to The Wedge is pretty easy too. There is a bike trail as far as E Street and by then traffic has really thinned and the streets are not busy since there is no way off the peninsula from there.

http://goo.gl/maps/JDtDQ

http://funzoneboats.com/

Revelstoke, B.C.
2. Re: Boat ride to the wedge.

Never mind. Found Fun Zone boats. Are these tours any good? Was thinking the 90 minute combo tour, wedge, and the nice homes.

Edited: 11:45 pm, October 23, 2012
Newport Beach...
reviews: 75
3. Re: Boat ride to the wedge.

Forget the Fun Zone boat tours, I don't think they actually go out of the Harbor to spend time at the wedge. To really appreciate it you have to see it from the shore.

It is easy just went a bike there at Balboa pier (number of places rent bikes - just pick one when you get there) - they will give you info and ride to the end of the penninsula. You will ride though a neighborhood to get there - it is an easy ride from Balboa pier maybe 10 min. ride.. Then you can view the wedge from the shore - and see the break what it is known for. It is a shore break - and when big it is hollow. It has a break that comes off they jetty - and helps give it's shape.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 349
4. Re: Boat ride to the wedge.

Yes the Fun Zone Boat tours DO leave the harbor, but that isn't the tour I'd take.

I'd ride my bike to the Wedge and take the #2 "Celebrity homes" tour from the FZB. They do do a tour that combines #1 and #2.

http://funzoneboats.com/

SoCal
reviews: 9
5. Re: Boat ride to the wedge.

I like the celebrity home tour. You get a good discount if you do both tours so I would do both and if you want to visit the Wedge ride your bike or drive over also.

Revelstoke, B.C.
6. Re: Boat ride to the wedge.

Perfect. Bikes it is!!

Since the plan for the day before was a boat tour (whale watch) out of Dana Point, I didnt really want to spend another bunch of time in a boat checking out the Wedge.

We do want to do the harbour/nice house tour though!!

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 23
7. Re: Boat ride to the wedge.

The Fun Zone Harbor Tour will show you the celebrity homes, boats and area. Personally, I prefer it to the other half of the tour that leaves the harbor. Better history, and , of course the homes and boats. JMO

Afterward, ride the bikes right down the Peninsula to the Wedge.

Newport Beach...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Boat ride to the wedge.

The harbor tour takes you outside the harbor about a quarter mile to the bell bouy, where the sea lions are. As it swings back around, you can see the wedge in the distance, but if you are interested in seeing that area of the beach, its not the best way to do it.

The bike ride down there is easy. The boardwalk takes you most of the way, and you can take the alley the rest of the way if want to avoid the streets. As mentioned above, the boardwalk ends at E Street, you can take the wide sidewalk to G street, then follow the bend to the right and take a left in in the alley. That way you avoid the cars.

That being said, the car traffic is pretty light out there, so I never have a problem on the street. Another option is to take Balboa Blvd all the way back to Channel and then over to the the wedge from there, Balboa is much wider than Ocean Blvd, so its easier to navigate with the car traffic. Miramar is narrow, but gets very little traffic, so that is an option too.

Revelstoke, B.C.
9. Re: Boat ride to the wedge.

Thank you.

10. Re: Boat ride to the wedge.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 06, 2013