We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

corona del mar village

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 7
corona del mar village

Can someone tell me where the main center is, where you can find shopping and restaurants?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 146
1. Re: corona del mar village

Like many California cities, Newport Beach doesn't really have a "center." There are several popular areas, Balboa Island, Balboa Penninsula, Corona del Mar and Newport /Fashion Island Center. You will find shopping and restaurants in all of those areas. However, the high end shopping and most upscale dining is in the Newport Fashion Island Center.

If you let us know what sort of shopping and dining you are looking for, we can better guide you.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 350
2. Re: corona del mar village

The main part of town are the "flower" streets, Avacado down through Poppy (arranged alphabetically). Shopping and restaurants are end to end in that area from the Five Crowns on the south end of town to Crow Bar & Kitchen at Acacia.

Next to Corona del Mar is Fashion Island with Bloomingdale, Neiman's and Macy's, etc. There are some nice shops along Coast Highway, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 23
3. Re: corona del mar village

Corona del Mar is simply a neighborhood name within the the City of Newport Beach, CA.

Other neighborhood areas are Newport Coast, Mariners Mile, Balboa Island, Balboa Peninsula, Fashion Island, the Back Bay, Dover Cliffs, Lido Isle, East Bluff and probably a few I've not listed. When you see these terms just know you are in Newport Beach, althought the neighboorhood nicknames can help you identify the location within the city.

Newport Beach isn't that large. It has a population of around 80-85,000.

As for the center of Newport Beach, some people consider it to be Balboa Island, others think of it as the peninsula (most locals refer to Balboa Island as 'Balboa' and Balboa Peninsula simply as 'the peninsula') and others think of it as the Fashion Island area where the new City Hall/Civic Center is being constructed.

For shopping, Fashion Island heads the list with about 200 total stores and restaurants but there is certainly a lot of upscale dining elsewhere as well.

Balboa Island has some nice boutiques and restaurants on Marine Ave.

Lido Peninsula has some nice restaurants as well as a small shoping area within walking distance of them.

Crystal Cove Promenade has a couple of upscale restaurants as well as nice shopping.

Almost every area of the city has good dining and nice shopping. The thing is that, because of the harbor, the coastline and the back bay, it's not always a straight drive to somewhere----sometimes you are going around water, sometimes you are going over water via bridge, sometimes you are going on the water via a ferry.

If you go here: visitnewportbeach.com/includes/media/docs/We…

It should give you a printable, pdf map that will be useful to you both for planing your trip and once you get here.

You can see the whole guide (about 90 pages) at: www.visitnewportbeach.com

Scroll down about half way on the opening page and click on digital guides. If you like, they will send you a hard copy but, on the left side of that page you can click on various subjects (like the map) to bring them up without registering.

Corona del Mar...
reviews: 1
4. Re: corona del mar village

Don't miss The SideDoor in Corona del Mar. Great English style gastropub. Try to go during the week to avoid the crowds.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
5. Re: corona del mar village

Side Door, mentioned by Seabiscuit, is part of the Five Crowns Restaurant. It's a more casual pub atmosphere and serves a less expensive menu than the main part of the restaurant.

Five Crowns is owned by Lawry's, and like Lawry's, is legendary for its Prime Rib dinners.

New York
6. Re: corona del mar village

Thank you for your wonderful replies. I am familiar with the area so I know of the places of which you speak. Having stumbled upon CDM while in Newport we just love it and were thinking of getting a rental there. We are looking in the NB aea and thought this area is more quiet than staying by the Pier. Do you agree that this is a desireable area to stay? I wanted to be near the pier because it seems there is more walkable places but again it might be too noisy. So my question is...I am trying to find out if there are walkable shops, restaurants, specifically a grocery store and place to get coffee from a rentable on the flower streets? Thank you to all you locals helping out a Newyorker!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
7. Re: corona del mar village

GLM,

If you put Corona Del Mar, Newport Beach, CA into your search bar and go to Google Maps, you will be able to zoom to a map that shows all the shops and restaurants and their proximity to any street location. From the homes on the flower named streets, you can walk easily to many shops, cafes and restaurants. You can even walk from the homes higher on the hill. My cousin lives in the neighborhood above the flower streets and walks to PCH all the time. You can also walk to Newport Center if you wish.

And yes, there are grocery stores, coffee cafes, and everything you would need in Corona del Mar Village. Also,If you walk over to Newport Center, off Avacado Street, you will find a center with a high-end Bristol Farms grocery store. Above that center is the beautiful Newport Beach Library.

Edited: 5:25 pm, August 13, 2011
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
8. Re: corona del mar village

Specifically -- The Albertsons Market is at 3049 Pacific Coast Highway in CDM.

http://www.albertsons.com/stores/viewstores

Corona del Mar...
reviews: 1
9. Re: corona del mar village

We live on the flower streets in CDM and walk to Bristol Farms and Peet's coffee all the time. Our favorite place for breakfast is Panini. We also walk to Balboa Island from our place - about a 1 mile walk to the island. Basilic is our favorite restaurant on Balboa Island - reservations are a must. Other favorite restauants in the neighborhood include Bamboo Bistro, The Quite Woman, Gulfstream, and Canaletto.

I didn't realize there were short-term rentals in CDM . . .

New York
10. Re: corona del mar village

Thank you for your replies...LScats, I did do google maps to search restaurants but very few show; from what you are telling me there are some that are walkable. Seabiscuit thank you about the Bristal Farms and Peets coffee...I didn't realize Balboa Island was walkable...this is helpful. Yes there are amazing house and condo rentals in the area...