We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Place for Fish Tacos

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 18
Good Place for Fish Tacos

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Las Vegas and spending our last day at Disneyland. We are flying home on a Tuesday (in October) from the Orange County airport around 1pm. Can anyone tell me if there is a good place for fish tacos that we can go to and still make it to the airport on time? Or are we better off going at night after Disney? If there were other non seafood items on the menu that would be a plus since I don't eat seafood.

Laguna Hills...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Good Place for Fish Tacos

El Cholo isn't far from the airport & the food is really good;

www.elcholo.com/asp/site/irvine/index.asp…

There is also an El Torito directly across from the airport. It's a chain, but it has pretty good food, I've never had fish tacos there, but I'm sure they have them:

http://www.eltorito.com/

If you're looking for fast food, there are a couple different places near the airport-Rubios, Baja Fresh & Wahoos are all in the general area.

SoCal
reviews: 7
2. Re: Good Place for Fish Tacos

You can go to Wahoo's at 2967 Michelson Dr., Irvine. I would go at 11 AM (call to confirm they are open but almost everything is open between 10 and 11 for lunch, so you could go a bit earlier if wanted). It is the kind of place that you will be done in 30 to 45 minutes max. It is about 5 minutes to the airport. Car returns are quick and onsite so you should be fine on time. Turn right on Michelson and you will dead in to the airport. All entrees on their menu can be made with chicken, steak, carnitas (my favorite in the enchiladas), veggies, tofu or grilled fish. www.wahoos.com

Another option is Rubios located at 17655 Harvard, Irvine. They are more famous for fried fish tacos but they do offer grilled. They have a variety of other menu items that do not involve fish, including chicken, veggies and steak. I like the chicken burritos if not having fish. I would give it 10 minutes to the airport but it is probably not even that far. Right on Harvard, right on Michelson and again it dead ends into the airport. Again, this you should be in and out in 30 to 45 minutes. They open at 10 AM daily. www.rubios.com

There is another Rubio's at 2 Hutton Center, Santa Ana that is convenient to the airport but the parking can be a bit of a pain. For an early lunch it might not be too bad.

Newport Beach...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Good Place for Fish Tacos

I don't know if you want walking distance or not, but there there is Wahoos Fish Taco (http://www.wahoos.com/index.php) on the corner of Baker St. and Bristal St. in Costa Mesa, less then a 5 minute drive from the airport.

Its a local Orange County place that serves higher-end fast mexican food, with the focus on the fish tacos. Its fresh and healthy and very tasty. They have a lot of non fish items on the menu.

It's a cool atmosphere too, with surf videos playing, and the walls plastered with stickers from local bands and local surf/skate companies.

SoCal
4. Re: Good Place for Fish Tacos

El Cholo has fish tacos but they do not open until 11 and I think that is cutting it a bit close to eat at a restaurant that involves waiters and such. It would be about a 10 minute drive to the airport. El Torito (people will probably say don't go there but I just ate at the one suggested and what I had was very good) but I don't know that they have fish tacos. If they do, they are not famous for them. You could check the online menu and hours. It is convenient but the 2 I suggested are better fits given your time constraints and wanting fish tacos.

Rubios and Wahoo's are both chains around here with many locations. They all have the same food.

Edited: 12:04 pm, June 21, 2011
Laguna Hills...
reviews: 10
5. Re: Good Place for Fish Tacos

Just wanted to add-since OP doesn't care for seafood, they might want to go for Rubios instead of Wahoos-Although I haven't been to the one on Michalson, all the other ones I've ever been in

smelled strongly of fish. The food is good, though, so if that doesn't bother you, it's fine.

oh, & if you do decide to go the night before, in Anaheim, there are plenty of places in that area, as well. Fish tacos are very easy to comy by around here:).

Edited: 12:29 pm, June 21, 2011
SoCal
6. Re: Good Place for Fish Tacos

I have never noticed a fish smell at the Wahoo's on Michelson. I do not eat a lot of fish and actually the Wahoo's I have been to I have never noticed a fishy smell.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
7. Re: Good Place for Fish Tacos

Once again, let's clarify, the Original style of Fish Tacos introduced in the 1983 is the Fried Fish Taco (Fish is covered in batter then fried), by Ralph Rubio in San Diego. It is now a Southwest chain with over 170 locations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubio's_Fresh_Mexican_Grill

Wahoo's is a much newer chain and does not serve Fried Fish Tacos, instead they sell Grilled Fish Tacos.

If you are looking for the "original", try and get a Fried version, Rubio's is a good option, but other places make a good version.

Egg Harbor WI
reviews: 25
8. Re: Good Place for Fish Tacos

Wahoo's.

Two fish tacos, rice and black beans, 2 Coronas, get on the plane, snooze.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
9. Re: Good Place for Fish Tacos

Wahoo's DOES have non-fish items and they are very good. http://www.wahoos.com/menu.php Wahoo's is the real deal. Rubio's is just mediocre fast food. There is really no comparison and Wahoo's is close to the airport.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
10. Re: Good Place for Fish Tacos

Darkbeer. I think Rubio's is really reaching by calling their product "the original

fish taco." Those of us who grew up in Southern California remember fish tacos long before the ones translated to fast food. Independent Mexican food restaurants and fish restaurants had fish tacos that I can remember in the 60s and I'm sure they go back farther than that.

Rubio's popularized the fried fish taco by making it not taste much of fish. A lot of people love that. But Wahoo's version (also not very original) is more healthful and allows you to taste the good fish.

If the OP had a little more time, I would suggest they go to Taco Mesa or TacoRosa which serves salmon and calamari tacos. Taco Mesa is my true favorite. www.tacorosatacomesa.com/menu/dining.html