We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough Itinerary for Napa and Sonoma, accepting feedback :-)

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 58
Rough Itinerary for Napa and Sonoma, accepting feedback :-)

Ok, so I have put together somewhat of a rough itinerary for our Napa/Sonoma trip in Feb. We have a driver booked so the drive distances don't bother us :-) Any suggestions please feel free to pass along!!

The Monday we arrive we will do Fisher is the afternoon

Tuesday:

Shafer

*Chappelet (debating whether to do the tour, if its worth it?)

White Rock

Viader

Wednesday

Ferrari-Carano

Benziger

Alexander Valley Vineyards

Stryker

Thoughts?!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 2,451
1. Re: Rough Itinerary for Napa and Sonoma, accepting feedback :-)

Looks like a lot of fun...

One comment on

Wednesday

Ferrari-Carano, Benziger, Alexander Valley Vineyards, Stryker

While all 4 are wonderful - just realize they are far apart in Sonoma County. You might have already looked at a map for this.....but just did not want you to be surprised that you picked 4 good wineries in very different parts of the county.

For the Benzinger Winery try to do the tour.

For Ferrari -Cerano take the time to enjoy the gardens.

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
reviews: 40
2. Re: Rough Itinerary for Napa and Sonoma, accepting feedback :-)

For Wednesday, Mini's comments are right on ... Benzinger is an hour's drive from Ferrari-Carano, too far for one day. A lot depends on where you're staying. If in Sonoma Valley, keep Benzinger and skip Ferrari-Carano. If staying in Healdsburg/Windsor/Santa Rosa, scratch Benzinger and add another, e.g. Jordan. Otherwise, you'll spend too much time in the car and not enough enjoying the wineries.

Re: Tuesday, Viader is an incredible setting with amazing views to the west, but sometimes the service can be inconsistent and the wines have a heavy dose of cab franc in their blends ... if you like that, you'll be happy with Viader. If not, think about Bremer Family, Cade or Ladera, all within a mile or so of Viader on Howell Mountain.

Ottawa, Canada
3. Re: Rough Itinerary for Napa and Sonoma, accepting feedback :-)

Thanks for the recommendations! Yes I noticed Benziger is quite far from the rest so will scratch that and also look at the others on Howell. By the way, any thoughts on Coppola's place in Sonoma?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
4. Re: Rough Itinerary for Napa and Sonoma, accepting feedback :-)

I love Coppolas's but sort of think of it as as Holllywood Winery on Steroids.

Great Hollywood museum selection, amazing Olympic Size swimming pool, bocci ball court, nice tour (enjoyed seeing their automated bottling plant). They have an on-site restaurant (which is good) - if you have not planned what to do for lunch yet eating at Rustica is nice (but it will take time. With the elimination of Benzinger, you do have time for a leisurely lunch. Nice outdoor patio with vineyard views as well if you just want to get a glass of wine and sit outside.

https://www.francisfordcoppolawinery.com/

They have a broad range of wines - we love their reservedred wine the best - but to each their . The labels on their wine bottles are like artwork - and the story behind each lable is interesting as well as its connected to Coppola's past.

If you do do their reserved tasting, its at a separate counter and if you do the one hour tour here - the time we did this the guy gave generous pourings. We have been several times since and although not as generous still a nice time.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
5. Re: Rough Itinerary for Napa and Sonoma, accepting feedback :-)

By the way replacing Benzinger with Coppola would work for a reasonable day - some driving but if you start at Francis-Cerrano, then Coppola, then do Stryker, Alexander valley (not sure which order for the last 2 as not sure where you are staying but close enough to do both).

4 wineries would work well -

At Alexander valley Winery we really like their Sin Zin.

http://www.avvwine.com/about_sinzin.html

Ottawa, Canada
6. Re: Rough Itinerary for Napa and Sonoma, accepting feedback :-)

Thanks Mimi! Alexander Valey's zin's were recommended my brother, he said they were fab. Don't mind the "Disney" aspect as we are doing a lot of other private tours and tastings and the movie angle I think could be fun...thanks so much!!

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
reviews: 40
7. Re: Rough Itinerary for Napa and Sonoma, accepting feedback :-)

Let me second mini's comments about Coppola Winery. As long as you've set appropriate expectations, you'll have a blast exploring this property which can be appreciated as a welcome change-up from the standard winery itinerary. I don't know many wineries, if any, where you can be served liquor from the full bar in addition to a long wine menu.

Even if you only have 30-60 minutes to browse, there is much to see and experience, sip and eat. I especially enjoy the beautifully-merchandised gift shop with a combination of wine + cinema + travel + foodie/kitchen items to take home.

This place is especially fun in the summer with the pool & cabana scene. In winter, you'll likely have it mostly to yourselves. Have fun!

8. Re: Rough Itinerary for Napa and Sonoma, accepting feedback :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 19, 2014