We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napa/Sonoma - ideas for a day trip from SP

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 4
Napa/Sonoma - ideas for a day trip from SP

Hi, we are staying in SF for a week in April and 1 day we want to drive up north to visit a winery. (or more than one if possible). We can't stay overnight.

I don't like wine but my partner does (he works in the wine trade in the UK), so we would like to visit a place that has both good wines (for him) and that's interesting to see (for me). We don't like very touristy places, we are planning go on a Thursday to avoid crowds.

My questions:

- Is it possible to visit more than one winery on a day, or is it too much ? (we would like at least one tour, and seems they need to be booked in advance)

- Which winery would u recommend?

Many thanks!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
1. Re: Napa/Sonoma - ideas for a day trip from SP

Maybe your partner has an idea of what winery to visit if he is in the wine trade? Otherwise, a great first tour is at Robert Mondavi Winery in Oakville. Make a reservation there. The tour takes about an hour and a half.

Mondavi is in the center of the Napa Valley. There are many other wineries nearby that you could visit and taste wines without an appointment.

If you like sparkling wine, you could also visit Mumm or Chandon. The tours are interesting there too.

London, United...
2. Re: Napa/Sonoma - ideas for a day trip from SP

Thanks, our company is in the wine trade here in the UK (got our first client in the US, but not on California), he doesn't know anything or anyone there. We might get recommendations from our client (in Colorado), but we want to be prepared in case we don't!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
3. Re: Napa/Sonoma - ideas for a day trip from SP

Major wineries like Mondavi and many smaller ones too have special tours for people in the wine trade. So, it might be beneficial to approach them from the business side rather than as tourists visiting California. It's too bad you don't have more time to spend in wine country.

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
reviews: 40
4. Re: Napa/Sonoma - ideas for a day trip from SP

super, that's an excellent point. Schramsberg offers a to-the-trade tour on Tuesday mornings (last time I checked), and this would be a most excellent experience for you to explore production of high-end sparkling wines in an historic setting.

Schramsberg Contact Info:

Trade Sales & Marketing

Laurent C. Sarazin

Vice President Sales & Marketing

707-942-2435

lsarazin@schramsberg.com

London, United...
5. Re: Napa/Sonoma - ideas for a day trip from SP

Thanks, Robert Mondavi seems a good option, would check with my partner about the sparkling options.. how about Sterling ? As I don't drink wine I thought I could at least enjoy the views..

Napa, California
reviews: 3
6. Re: Napa/Sonoma - ideas for a day trip from SP

Hi Alisha,

If you like art, you should check out The Hess Collection, they have decent wines for your partner and a separate gallery great collection of modern art (free) for you.

7. Re: Napa/Sonoma - ideas for a day trip from SP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 05, 2014