We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napa to Yosemite

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 59
Napa to Yosemite

Hi

I'm trying to get from Napa to Yosemite on public transport on March 18th but I'm struggling to find the trip on Amtrack. There is a 12.30 bus, then a train to Merced, but it's not showing the 5.30 YARTS on Amtrack. The below shows that there should be one.

yarts.com/schedule/…20FALL.pdf

Also another thing, anyone travelled with luggage on Amtrack bus? It says only two small bags, but surely there is space for a couple of cases?

I guess my worst case scenario is go from Napa to Merced and stay there that night, although it doesn't sound particularly appealing.

Welcome to any other suggestions on getting to Yosemite though.

Cheers

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
1. Re: Napa to Yosemite

That 5:30 Yarts doesn't go into Yosemite according to the schedule you posted and I mentioned this in another of your threads. I suggested that you spend the night in Mariposa which is a very nice town with reasonably priced motels. Then you could venture into Yosemite Valley early the next morning.

I'm sorry, I can't help you with the luggage issue. What do you mean by "a couple of cases". Generally, I associate cases with wine.

If you want to leave Napa earlier, you can take a bus to El Cerrito, then Bart to Richmond where you can catch the Amtrak to Merced.

ridethevine.com/regional-routes-schedules/ro…

You were having a hard time getting to Napa the last time we heard from you. What did you finally decide?

Manchester, United...
reviews: 59
2. Re: Napa to Yosemite

Hi Supercilious - I think I should buy you a beer in Napa with the help you're giving me!

Apologies, misread your earlier post about the 5.30. Looks like Mariposa on the 18th then which may end up better on the wallet as Yosemite Lodge at the falls was coming close to $400 for both nights, and not like we could do anything much on the 18th in the evening at Yosemite, so you may have saved me a few pounds my friend! Just read about Mariposa and it mentions Sierra Nevada which is a beautiful beer, so that sorts the evening of the 18th out.

Booked the Old World Inn for the 17th in Napa, was looking at a budget hotel, then I stumbled across that place who had a great sale, and thought it looked quaint/romantic and more what I'd imagine a B&B in Napa to be like.

In terms of getting there, I'm taking a gamble that I'll be able to get a tour from SF a few days before the 17th that will allow us to take our two suit cases on board. Plan B is we take your advice and take the airport shuttle/bus to Napa, gets there 9.45am and hope we can get a 10.30am wine tour, worse case scenario is we get to Napa too late and cant do a tour and we stay downtown. Gave all options to girlfriend last night and she said she wasn't interested in SF - Napa - SF in a day and wanted to spend a night in Napa, so it's a bit of a gamble.

Got a good deal on Hotel Fusion for SF, got Planet Hollywood in Vegas booked. Sacked Malibu off now (hotel I wanted went through the roof!!!), and going Laguna Beach instead. Want to book LA hotel now.

By cases I mean luggage, as in two suit cases :-)

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
3. Re: Napa to Yosemite

Of course, "cases" mean suit cases. Not sure what I was thinking, maybe too much bubbly at breakfast. I can't imagine you having a problem with that but with your style of traveling maybe backpack luggage would be easier to deal with.

Old World Inn is a great choice. Owners are long-time contributors to this forum and can help you out. Give them a call if you have any questions.

If you take the Evans bus that get's in at 9:45, you could probably arrange for the tour company to meet you at their depot. The bus is hardly ever late on Sundays since there is little traffic.

4. Re: Napa to Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 04, 2014