We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

Looking for help with final planning of our Napa trip. We are two couples in our 40s traveling Wednesday March 13-Sunday March 17.

Day 1 - Fly in to SFO via Virgin America at 10:00; Rent car and head over Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito for lunch (where?); explore Muir Woods for a short time (1.5 hours at most), Tasting at Domaine Carneros if we get there in time – is this on the way or if it is not suggestions for one winery to hit on the way in; Check into hotel in time for wine tasting hour 5-6. Dinner near hotel. Maybe Mustards? Reservations at Embassy Suites, Napa for 3 nights. Can we walk to downtown from there?

Day 2 – Napa Private Limo Tour. Drop off Downtown at Oxbow market – Hog Island Oysters for happy hour. When does downtown Napa close down for the evening? Dinner in Napa again. Where?

Day 3 – Second day of winery tours maybe on our own or second day with limo. Dinner in Yountville. Maybe Ad Hoc or Bottega.

During our two days I have listed the following wineries but need to come up with a plan for each day. Also, we want a sit down lunch on one day. Where?

1. Domaine Chandon tasting 20$pp 2 for 1 coupon),

2. Mondavi tour (25$pp) or V. Sautti ($20 at 2/1) and lunch here, Oakville Grocery for picnic supplies or lunch at Gott’s

3. Rubicon – Coppalla’s estate ($50pp) or Castle Di Amore 18/33pp,

4. Chateau di Montelena $20 pp (2 for 1)or Sterling 25$pp 5$ off coupon

5. Peju 20 2/1, Duckhorn 30 2/1, Grinch 20 2/1, Paraduxx 30$pp (2 for 1), Frog’s Leap20$pp, Mumm $25pp – 2 for 1 coupon available, are other options;

6. Del Dotto Cave Tour ($50pp)Must do!

7. Small family vinyards??

Day 4 – Head back to San Francisco early. Check into hotel and park or turn in car – hopefully by 10am. Reservations at Westin San Francisco Market Street for 1nt.

1. take Cable Car all the way down to Lombard Street 10-12

2. Lunch- Where?

3. Dylan’s tour from 1-3.

4. After the tour explore Fisherman’s Wharf, eat at Boudins. Pier 39 to look for sea lions.

5. Alcatraz Tour – Night tour booked at 6:10

6. After Alcatraz tour, head back to Union Square for dinner or stay in North Beach area for dinner at Capp's Corner May want to skip North Beach area and head back to Union Square to eat as some say it is hard getting back to Union Square late at night??

Day 5 – Flight out is at 11 so quick breakfast at hotel and head to SFO.

Sound OK? Anything seem unreasonable?

Northern Neck...
reviews: 4
11. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

Hello, I am in the middle of planning too.

The one thing to keep in mind about AD HOC is they are closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. Which happens to be while we are in town. I tried already booking for the Monday night we check in but of course no reservations till 9 pm. So book it now on Open Table if you really want to go to AD HOC.

Napa, California
12. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

Ha ... I have been going to Napa for over 12 years and sill spell the wineries wrong!!

You have a great list of questions, and have picked some nice wineries. I would be happy to provide my assistance to you, but ask that you do two things. 1... contact me through my e-mail; michael@harvestwinetours.com ; 2... if you like my ideas say something nice about them at our Facebook page :)

Here are some initial thoughts:

Day 1 - Tasting at Domaine Carneros - Definitely! They are open late, with a last seating at 5:45, and they have a beautiful view of Carneros from their veranda. A glass of sparkling wine will be a great start to your trip. You will be tempted to stop at some other wineries along the way, but if it is after 5 head straight there. If it is 4-4:30, you could sneak in another one first if you want.

Day 2 – Napa Private Limo Tour. If you have a limo for the day, I wouldn't spend the time at Oxbow market. Although it is a fun place, I would suggest visiting wineries while you have the limo at your disposal.

Day 2/3 –

1. Domaine Chandon - very nice winery. Sparkling can be a nice start to the day, especially if you are starting early. I find sparkling or light wines much easier to enjoy at 10 or 10:30, than a big cabernet.

2. Mondavi tour (25$pp) or V. Sautti ($20 at 2/1) and lunch here, Oakville Grocery for picnic supplies - Winery lunch is always fun. V. Sattui is overdone and usually very croweded. Pick up lunch at Oakville Grocery and head out. Movdavi is one of the original names in Napa, and well known for their tours. But if you are looking for unique interesting wineries to visit, this is not the place.

3. Rubicon – Coppalla’s estate ($50pp) or Castle Di Amore 18/33pp, - Wines at Rubicon/Inglenook are much better ... but the Castle is a site to behold. Decide which is most important to you and pick that one.

4. Chateau di Montelena $20 pp (2 for 1)or Sterling 25$pp 5$ off coupon. Sterling, but upgrade to the reserve tasting. It is well worth the extra $10.

5. Peju 20 2/1, Duckhorn 30 2/1, Grinch 20 2/1, Paraduxx 30$pp (2 for 1), Frog’s Leap20$pp, Mumm $25pp – 2 for 1 coupon available, are other options; Peju ... Peju .. Peju.

6. Del Dotto Cave Tour ($50pp)Must do! Great tour ... but lots of wine!!! Good day for the limo driver. I would recommend making it the last winery of the day.

7. Small family vinyards?? Toooo many to mention.

Best of luck. e-mail if you want more info.

Michael

HarvestWineTours.com

13. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 31, 2014