We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

Looking for help with final planning of our Napa trip. We are two couples in our 40s traveling Wednesday March 13-Sunday March 17.

Day 1 - Fly in to SFO via Virgin America at 10:00; Rent car and head over Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito for lunch (where?); explore Muir Woods for a short time (1.5 hours at most), Tasting at Domaine Carneros if we get there in time – is this on the way or if it is not suggestions for one winery to hit on the way in; Check into hotel in time for wine tasting hour 5-6. Dinner near hotel. Maybe Mustards? Reservations at Embassy Suites, Napa for 3 nights. Can we walk to downtown from there?

Day 2 – Napa Private Limo Tour. Drop off Downtown at Oxbow market – Hog Island Oysters for happy hour. When does downtown Napa close down for the evening? Dinner in Napa again. Where?

Day 3 – Second day of winery tours maybe on our own or second day with limo. Dinner in Yountville. Maybe Ad Hoc or Bottega.

During our two days I have listed the following wineries but need to come up with a plan for each day. Also, we want a sit down lunch on one day. Where?

1. Domaine Chandon tasting 20$pp 2 for 1 coupon),

2. Mondavi tour (25$pp) or V. Sautti ($20 at 2/1) and lunch here, Oakville Grocery for picnic supplies or lunch at Gott’s

3. Rubicon – Coppalla’s estate ($50pp) or Castle Di Amore 18/33pp,

4. Chateau di Montelena $20 pp (2 for 1)or Sterling 25$pp 5$ off coupon

5. Peju 20 2/1, Duckhorn 30 2/1, Grinch 20 2/1, Paraduxx 30$pp (2 for 1), Frog’s Leap20$pp, Mumm $25pp – 2 for 1 coupon available, are other options;

6. Del Dotto Cave Tour ($50pp)Must do!

7. Small family vinyards??

Day 4 – Head back to San Francisco early. Check into hotel and park or turn in car – hopefully by 10am. Reservations at Westin San Francisco Market Street for 1nt.

1. take Cable Car all the way down to Lombard Street 10-12

2. Lunch- Where?

3. Dylan’s tour from 1-3.

4. After the tour explore Fisherman’s Wharf, eat at Boudins. Pier 39 to look for sea lions.

5. Alcatraz Tour – Night tour booked at 6:10

6. After Alcatraz tour, head back to Union Square for dinner or stay in North Beach area for dinner at Capp's Corner May want to skip North Beach area and head back to Union Square to eat as some say it is hard getting back to Union Square late at night??

Day 5 – Flight out is at 11 so quick breakfast at hotel and head to SFO.

Sound OK? Anything seem unreasonable?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 115
1. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

I guess this is a Napa Valley tour with just a day in SF. You have a lot of questions about where to eat . There are so many choices so it would help to either look at restaurants in the area and look at reviews of be very specific in type of cuisine and budget to people can help you.

Another great tool to use is maps.google.com and you can then type in your location and search restaurants nearby and get a zagat rating.

Here is what I mean http://goo.gl/maps/C1rDu You can see where the Embassy suites is and where the downtown restaurants are. We love Oenotri and La Toque or Morimoto Napa if you like his style of cooking

In SF, since you are there for a day and a night, I guess you can only do so much and Dylan's abridged tour sounds good. Half day would have been better. It is not hard to get to Union Square at night. You can take the F Market /wharves in front of Pier 33. But this is the Napa forum

reviews: 752
2. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

Mustard's is very good, Bistro Jeanty and Bottega are also very good in Yountville. :)

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
3. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

Wow, that's some of the worst spelling I've seen in a while!

The first 4 winery selections are among the most popular wineries. I would suggest you do those on your own and use the driver for day 2 with the #5 selections or go the places your driver recommends.

It's too bad one of your party can't be a designated driver or at least learn how to spit:

wine-searcher.com/m/…masters-of-wine-spitting

You could save some money by driving yourselves and wouldn't have to concentrate on places that have coupons.

Rubicon is now called Inglenook and it's well worth visiting being one of Napa Valley's classic wineries.

Embassy Suites is about a mile from the restaurants downtown. You can use google maps to show its location. It can be walked of course but most people would drive. It's easy to find parking downtown in the evening.

Dallas, Texas
4. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

Actually we are not concerned with the cost of a limo - just thought it would be an experience we would enjoy. I did not pick the wineries for the coupon. I just tried to see if any were available for the ones that I had picked based on my research. As for the spelling, thanks for the comment. I will try to do better next time, or maybe not post at all to avoid the risk of embarrassment.

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
5. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

Shame on you, Supercilious!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
6. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

Yes, I am sorry. I meant to put a LOL there or a smiley face.

My point about the limo is that it's best to use one when visiting a lot of wineries where you are just tasting. It's kind of a waste to have them waiting for you while touring Mondavi or Chandon or going up to Sterling on the tram. These are places where you will be spending quite a bit of time and they are on the main highway so very easy to find on your own.

Marlboro, New Jersey
7. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

We are plannning a trip to Napa at the end of March . We have 11 days.

We are flying into san francisco airport and renting a car to drive to Napa.

We are in our 60's and not sure what places to stay at or to just stay at one.

Should we stay a night in Yountville and a couple of nights in Sonoma? How is the SIlverado Trail? We would have 8 nights in Napa and 2 nights in SF.

Also we will be traveling back to San Francisco on Easter Sunday to spend our last 2 nights so we would be closer to airport. Not sure where is a good location to stay in SF. I have heard it is good to stay in Union square or Ghiardelli square.We like to be close to the trolley. Hills are hard for me to walk.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
8. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

sydelle,

Your question is tacked onto another thread and is likely to be "lost", meaning it won't be noticed. Do begin another thread of your own. Go to the Napa forum and click on "ask a question" at the top.

Marlboro, New Jersey
9. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

We are plannning a trip to Napa at the end of March . We have 11 days.

We are flying into san francisco airport and renting a car to drive to Napa.

We are in our 60's and not sure what places to stay at or to just stay at one.

Should we stay a night in Yountville and a couple of nights in Sonoma? How is the SIlverado Trail? We would have 8 nights in Napa and 2 nights in SF.

Also we will be traveling back to San Francisco on Easter Sunday to spend our last 2 nights so we would be closer to airport. Not sure where is a good location to stay in SF. I have heard it is good to stay in Union square or Ghiardelli square.We like to be close to the trolley. Hills are hard for me to walk.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
10. Re: Final planning of Napa/SF trip in March - please help!

Oops you put the question again in the same thread. Leave this and find the main forums. Try this

Go to the top of this thread and you will see, in blue, "Forums - Napa Valley forums - Napa Forum.

Click on either of the Napa forums and you can start over. Yours will be the first message in our own thread and will be more likely to get answers.