We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip to Napa

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
First time trip to Napa

Hi all,

Planning my first trip to Napa in September and I was hoping to get a little input / advice on a 2-day/overnight stay as part of my 5-day trip to San Francisco

I'll be traveling from downtown San Francisco and was thinking of taking the ferry to Vallejo. From there, how would you recommend getting to Napa? The trouble is that I would be carrying my bag along with me (standard plane carry-on size). Looking into shuttle services, I was only able to find ones that are packaged with day tours.

Also, I would like to tour some wineries on the second day as well, but am not quite sure how to handle the baggage situation and transportation back to the ferry terminal in Vallejo.

Thanks so much!

-M

New York City, New...
1. Re: First time trip to Napa

Sorry, but I forgot to also mention that, being under the age of 25, I've heard renting a car is a bit of a hassle? I'd also like to avoid driving in and out of San Francisco traffic if I can...

Stanford, California
reviews: 1
2. Re: First time trip to Napa

I assume you are staying some place on the night you will be staying in Napa. Most lodging is more than willing to hold your bag for you until the room is ready; and again hold the bag for you past check out time (i.e. for pick up later in the day on your way to Vallejo).

In terms of transportation from Vallejo Ferry, the Vine works

nctpa.net/routes-schedules/vine/vine-29.html

The Vine is the bus - note; You can either take the ferry or it also goes to the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transportation Station) at El Cerrito

http://www.bart.gov/

New York City, New...
3. Re: First time trip to Napa

Thanks Sierrafisherman!

I'm currently looking into staying at the Avia Hyatt hotel. Any advice on getting from the Vine station to the hotel?

That seems like it'll do the trick. Thanks again.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
4. Re: First time trip to Napa

Hertz has a promotion where they waive the under 25 fee through September 30. Their office in Vallejo will probably pick you up at the ferry terminal. Check it out:

https:/…

If that doesn't work, the Vine bus will get you to the Napa Valley. It can even take you to Yountville, St. Helena, or Calistoga besides Napa. Once you are in those towns though, it's tough getting around without a car. Calistoga does have a shuttle that runs during the day within the city limits.

nctpa.net/routes-schedules/vine/handyvan.html

The Vine is not a rapid transit system. If you use it, you will be spending a good part of your day on the bus. If time is valuable to you, renting a car is the best bet.

The BART transfer mentioned above can also work although the Vine buses only operate during commute hours and only on weekdays.

Finally, if none of the above will work for you, you might be able to make arrangements with a tour company so that you can get to Napa one day, drop you at your hotel, and then take you on a tour the next and back to the ferry in Vallejo. Platypus Tours meets the ferry several days a week and other companies do as well.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
5. Re: First time trip to Napa

The Vine bus stop downtown is just a few blocks from the Avia. It's a very short walk.

Roseville...
reviews: 15
6. Re: First time trip to Napa

Check with car rentals; your trip is best in a car. Rent in Vallejo if you don't want one in SF.

New York City, New...
7. Re: First time trip to Napa

Thanks for all the advice!

I think I've decided to go with renting the car from Vallejo. [Thanks for passing on the deal, Supercilious!] I just hope that traffic isn't too bad between Vallejo and Napa. Haha.

Now to do a little research on wineries--

Thanks again everyone.

-M

reviews: 707
8. Re: First time trip to Napa

Lots of nice places to wine taste in Napa! Nicholson Ranch, Del Dotto, Artesa and Domaine Carneros are a few of our favorite places. :)

9. Re: First time trip to Napa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 22, 2013