We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving with kids in Murphys? Lots of questions

Which Murphys hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
reviews: 1
Thanksgiving with kids in Murphys? Lots of questions

We want to stay in the Murphys Arnold area and look for a place to rent on VRBO.

Questions:

1. Likelihood of snow over Thanksgiving? Is there a better town in that area to recommend close to Murphys as we want to wine taste and be near a town

2. Is Murphys a good town for kids with kid things to do or another town recommended?

We are trying to go somewhere other than Tahoe for that weekend.

9 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 342
1. Re: Thanksgiving with kids in Murphys? Lots of questions

Murphy's is a tiny town as many of the Gold Country towns are.

How old are your kids? What kind of activities are you talking about? Where in Tahoe do you go normally? Have you stayed in Truckee or Incline?

Gold Country towns that are bigger are Grass Valley/Nevada City, Auburn, Sonora and Hangtown (I think they call it Placerville these days), but even then, what kind of activites are you thinking of?

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 45
2. Re: Thanksgiving with kids in Murphys? Lots of questions

Lots of wine tasting in Murphys at cute little tasting rooms along the main street of old town. Be sure to drive through the nearby-ish Shenandoah Valley to visit the many wineries that have sprung up in Amador County.

We recently stayed in Sutter Creek, which is larger, but had lunch in Murphys and would consider staying there next time. (Although we don't have any kids, so were looking for a different type of vacation!)

San Francisco
reviews: 1
3. Re: Thanksgiving with kids in Murphys? Lots of questions

scottca075,

Kids are 9,6 and 4.6 so we are looking for locations with towns to visit for window shopping (quick wine tasting too as nice add on) and most definately snow play. We want to be able to take a short drive to a free or low cost fee tubing hill/sloped hill where families gather. That is really ALL we care about is snow play and maybe snow mobile with the kids.

So.Cal
reviews: 9
4. Re: Thanksgiving with kids in Murphys? Lots of questions

Murphys is just above 2000ft. elevation, so your likelihood of snow for Thanksgiving is slim. It is a nice place for a day of wine tasting, but I can't think of much that kids would enjoy unless they're really into local history, and they seem a little young for that. It's probably unrealistic to find a place that would provide both wine tasting and snow play that early in the season

Washington DC...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Thanksgiving with kids in Murphys? Lots of questions

Same question, but around Christmas -- any suggestions on fun, free sledding areas around Murphys with kids? Thanks.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
6. Re: Thanksgiving with kids in Murphys? Lots of questions

I can't help you with a rental in Murphys, but suggest you start your own thread as this one is pretty used up.

I will mention that one year we had booked a vacation rental in Murphys for the family, at Christmas, only to get word two days before Christmas that there had been a hard freeze and the pipes in the house were frozen. Scurrying around I found a place at Sea Ranch. No snow, but the sea. Good luck.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 342
7. Re: Thanksgiving with kids in Murphys? Lots of questions

I love Murphys. It would be a great place for peace and quiet, hikes and simple times.

But it probably isn't a place I'd take kids looking for the area to amuse them, other than nature. If the kids can amuse themselves with games, puzzles, etc then fine.

At only 2,016 ft I don't think snow sticking around very long is likely even if it falls. It is supposed to snow in Murphys this weekend, but who knows how long the snow will stick.

If you want to be in an area that has a snow regularly you might want to get to a place like Norden, Truckee or Donner Lake.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 41
8. Re: Thanksgiving with kids in Murphys? Lots of questions

I hope the OP comes back and reports on their trip. And yes, SarahG, a new thread with its own title will help you get more individualized replies.

Other places within reach that would probably appeal to kids include Columbia State Historic Park and Railtown 1897 State Historic Park. These are a few miles south, near Sonora.

Columbia is a Gold Rush town where the main downtown area is preserved, with historic buildings containing businesses that are operated in a loose Living History manner. They aren't totallyauthentic like Colonial Williamsburg, but you can see a blacksmith or candle dipper at work, ride a Wells Fargo stagecoach, or learn to pan for gold.

Columbia - http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=552

Railtown is a museum of steam trains, where you can ride some of the trains and see functioning steam train maintenance shops. Not all the trains run all the time during off-peak season, so you should check with the park for details..

Railtown - http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=491

9. Re: Thanksgiving with kids in Murphys? Lots of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:57 am, February 16, 2014
Edited: 12:57 am, February 16, 2014

Reply to: Thanksgiving with kids in Murphys? Lots of questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted