We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough for more than a day or night?

Which Morro Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
reviews: 68
Enough for more than a day or night?

What is the recommended length of stay here?

7 replies to this topic
San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
1. Re: Enough for more than a day or night?

Depends entirely on what you want to do while you are there and what else you have on your itinerary. In that area though, i generally prefer Cambria and Pismo Beach to Morro Bay though.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
2. Re: Enough for more than a day or night?

What kinds of things are you into Jean?.....Hiking? Shopping? Sitting on a beach? Wine tasting? Museums/Historical buildings? Tide pools?

All of those things are within a 30 minute drive from Morro Bay

Edited: 5:46 pm, June 29, 2013
Connecticut
reviews: 68
3. Re: Enough for more than a day or night?

Sorry, I should have revealed that I have been to California many times and I have driven the entire coast and most everywhere else as my son lives in your great state. I've seen nearly everything and just want a a quiet beach area that has some great restaurants and quaint shops. I just want a relaxing beach to sit and read with a good view. . I'll be flying into LAX late September and have stayed at several Southern California beaches but thought mid coast might be different. Specifically, I am looking for something like Cannon Beach, Oregon off season. Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
4. Re: Enough for more than a day or night?

I have no idea what Cannon Beach is like but our favorite mid coast city/town is Cambria.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
5. Re: Enough for more than a day or night?

I think Cambria fits your needs better than Morro Bay. Cambria's beach area is quieter and more relaxing. Plus, Cambria has lots of quaint shops and excellent dining options for such a small seaside town.

Robin's, Sow's Ear, Wild Ginger, Madeline's and Black Cat Bistro are some of the better dining options.

www.cambriachamber.org/ has a visitors link showing hotels, dining, etc., including links to available websites and photos of the coastline and town.

Cambria is only about 15-20 minutes from Cambria, so you could always pop down or up to either one when you decide where you want to stay.

IF you're looking for lodging closer to a beach, then you should choose Cambria as there are NO lodgings on/near the beach in Morro Bay. A few on the harbor, but not the beach.

Look at lodging link on the above website for Cambria and click on Moonstone Beach Lodgings

Edited: 8:18 pm, June 29, 2013
Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
6. Re: Enough for more than a day or night?

"....Cambria is only about 15-20 minutes from Cambria"...

Oops! This should have read.... "Cambria is only 15-20 minutes from Morro Bay"......

Morro Bay...
reviews: 29
7. Re: Enough for more than a day or night?

I was just in Cannon Beach last week. I live in Morro Bay and love it. however, it is not as exclusive as Cannon beach, but more of a casual beach town with a good walking beach, wonderful kayaking and tours of the bay. Cambria has more good restaurants, quaint shops and ocean view lodgings (all on Moonstone Drive). Based on what you are looking for, I would also recommend staying in Cambria and perhaps visiting the charming Morro Bay Embarcadero about 20 minutes south. Another very popular option is Cayucos, in between Cambria & Morro Bay. Because it is a south facing (as is Avila to the south), it tends to get more sun in the summer. Be aware if visiting in the summer, the beaches here can be foggy.

Reply to: Enough for more than a day or night?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted