We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for locals- No Air??

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, NY
Question for locals- No Air??

I've noticed that most of the lodgings don't offer air conditioning.

I'll be visiting at the end of August, and here in upstate NY, it will be scorching!! Is it cool enough there that time of the year not to need air conditioning?

Pacific Grove...
reviews: 51
1. Re: Question for locals- No Air??

In a word, yes, it's much, much cooler -- even colder -- than most visitors imagine.

We will be full into our cycle of invading and then retreating fog -- and there is an ALMOST guaranteed westerly breeze which we refer to as our "natural air conditioning."

There is an important caveat that comes to mind for me:

If you are sensitive to too much heat, as I am, I would get the air conditioning anyway because there are definitely some very hot summer days which are exceptions to the rule -- especially if your hotel is at all inland.

And if you like to be able to control the temperature and ventilation of your room fairly precisely, as I sometimes do, then the air conditioner almost always comes in handy.

Rochester, NY
2. Re: Question for locals- No Air??

Thanks for the advice, Tony. Unfortunately, I'm finding very few lodgings that even offer air conditioning. We're currently booked to stay at the Sand Dollar Inn in Monterey. Any thoughts??? We wanted to be walking distance from most of the major sights, without paying a ton.

I appreciate your help!!

CA
reviews: 2
3. Re: Question for locals- No Air??

I know that the Monterey Bay Lodge has A/C in some units. Give them a call. They are a great little property located right near the beach.

Rochester, NY
4. Re: Question for locals- No Air??

Thanks for the tip- I've seen good reviews about them. Are they within walking distance of the wharf, cannery row, etc.?

CA
reviews: 2
5. Re: Question for locals- No Air??

Monterey Bay Lodge is a 10 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf and downtown Monterey. If you happen to be there on a Tuesday, be sure to catch the farmer's market in the early evening.

California
reviews: 12
6. Re: Question for locals- No Air??

At end of July it was freezing. Need fireplace. The hotter it is inland (central valley) the foggier it will be on the coast.

reviews: 21
7. Re: Question for locals- No Air??

Don't worry!!!!

I was in Rochester 2 years ago and know your pain!!!

Monterey is RARELY, if EVER, even comparable. Once.. I say, once, I was in Monterey and it was uncomfortable. And I am there 6-10 times a year. The most common month for heat in Monterey is September. August usually gets morning fog, burning off quick into pleasant 70's to 80's (not the thick humid 80's you guys get!). You will love it and not want to leave!

Have fun!

Montereychic