We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Point Lobos State Park

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
reviews: 3
Point Lobos State Park

We are visiting Monterey in early May, staying at a hotel on Munras Ave. We would like to see 17 Mile Drive and Point Lobos State Park on the same day. Should we start with 17 Mile drive and then head to the park for a picnic lunch and spend the afternoon there? Are there any problems turning onto the highway to head back to Monterey on a Sunday afternoon? I'm not sure there is a light at the park entrance.

14 replies to this topic
reviews: 740
1. Re: Point Lobos State Park

You may want to consider having lunch on 17 Mile Drive, at Roy's your entrance fee will be re-imbursed. Then spend the afternoon enjoying Carmel and Pt. Lobos. Enjoy this beautiful area! :).

Santa Clara...
reviews: 17
2. Re: Point Lobos State Park

There's no light turning left out of the park. But it's not too bad, even if you have to wait a little bit. I personally like Pt Lobos much more than 17-Mile Drive. Have only driven it with visitors who really were into golf.Otherwise I take them straight to Pt Lobos m

San Diego...
reviews: 29
3. Re: Point Lobos State Park

I would drop the 17-mile Drive unless you are interested in golf or mansions. The Lone Cypress is nice, and so is the Camera Obscura, but I don't know if that is still there. But overall, the scenery south of Carmel is better. I would have an early lunch in Carmel, then spend the rest of the day at Point Lobos SNR. Or just bring a picnic. Point Lobos closes 30 minutes after sunset, unless another time is posted at the entrance. As chinita415 mentioned, there is no stoplight there. If you want you can turn right when leaving the park, go south on Highway 1 about 1 mile to Corona Road, then make a left or U-turn there. There's no stoplight there either, but there is a left-turn lane where you can stop and wait for traffic to clear before making the U-turn. In fact I can't remember a single stoplight south of Carmel through Big Sur, except for a temporary one for road work.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
4. Re: Point Lobos State Park

Weekends are very busy at Point Lobos. You may not be able to get in if it's a nice afternoon. I would go in the morning. Last year, we were not able to get in on a Saturday afternoon but came back early on Sunday morning and had the place almost to ourselves for a while.

Santa Clara...
5. Re: Point Lobos State Park

We have been there on busy holidays when the lots are full. If that is the case, you can always park right on the road (safely!) and walk (again safely!) into the entrance. There have been times where it was full and we had our bikes with us and just biked in.

(I emphasize safely because I have seen some iffy and dangerous maneuvers by pedestrians and passing drivers alike on those busy and full afternoons)

Edited: 3:49 pm, February 04, 2014
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
6. Re: Point Lobos State Park

It's quite a long walk from Hwy 1 to the water. Biking is one thing, walking is another.

Santa Clara...
7. Re: Point Lobos State Park

Good point and I am not sure if OP or other lurkers are looking to walk that distance. But we have done it both ways. Walk in, swing over to Whaler's Cove, North Shore Trail, and back out to the road. Again, not for everyone.

Dublin, California
8. Re: Point Lobos State Park

I'd go to Point Lobos first thing in the morning as the park opens. As said, it can be quite crowded on weekends and you may not get in later in the day. Personally I also like the 17 miles drive. I know there are people who are not impressed by it, esp counting the cost to get in. But I have always enjoyed the drive.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
9. Re: Point Lobos State Park

I never timed it, but it seemed like it was about a 20 minute walk from the Highway 1 entrance of Pt. Lobos to the beaches on the southwest side of the park. I don't think that's too long.

Dublin, California
10. Re: Point Lobos State Park

But on weekends you'd be lucky to find a parking spot on Hwy 1, probably another mile's walk to the entrance.

Reply to: Point Lobos State Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted