We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Monterey to Yellowstone

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
reviews: 2
Route from Monterey to Yellowstone

After a few days exploring Monterey, we will head to Yellowstone and then to S.F. What are the best routes to take?

California
reviews: 12
1. Re: Route from Monterey to Yellowstone

Do you really mean Yellowstone in ID, MT & WY or do you mean Yosemite? It sounds like you might mean Yosemite since you are heading to SF from there and a better triangle is the Monterey to Yosemite to SF.

Pennsylvania
2. Re: Route from Monterey to Yellowstone

Oops, yes, I meant Yosemite (Yellowstone was last year!). Thank you!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
3. Re: Route from Monterey to Yellowstone

Monterey to Yosemite:

North on Hwy 1 to Castroville. 156 through San Juan Bautista to Hollister, then north on 156 around the San Luis Reservoir to Interstate 5. Cross that and it becomes 33/152 Take that to Hwy. 99. South 13 miles to Madera. East on 145 to Hwy 41. North on that into the park.

Maryland
reviews: 69
4. Re: Route from Monterey to Yellowstone

41 is probably best; if you use Mapquest I believe it will tell you to take Hwy 140, but that is road closed for about a year due to a huge landslide.

Going from Yosemite to San Fran, you would want to take 120 through Groveland out of the park.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
5. Re: Route from Monterey to Yellowstone

yes, because of the landslide I routed them with 41. If you do not know about this...and I don't know about mapauest or yahoo...take my advice. <grin>

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
6. Re: Route from Monterey to Yellowstone

Don't go through Groveland, although it is lovely in that area, it will be out of your way. Highway 152 from Los Banos comes into the 99 closer to Madera you will then cut over to the 41 via 145 (E. Yosemite Ave). It should take you about 4 hours for the journey to the Wawona Gate. Are you staying in the Valley? If so its an hour drive from the gate.

Pennsylvania
7. Re: Route from Monterey to Yellowstone

No, we are not staying in the Valley; we are staying at the Wawona hotel. Are the above directions still the best way to go?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
8. Re: Route from Monterey to Yellowstone

Yes.

Pennsylvania
9. Re: Route from Monterey to Yellowstone

Great. Thank you all so much for your help!

10. Re: Route from Monterey to Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 12, 2009