We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night stay on way back to SFO - need help!

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norfolk, VA
1 night stay on way back to SFO - need help!

I'm staying a week in Monterey next month. I fly out of San Fran on Fri morning at 9:45. I know it's a 2 hour drive. If I stay in Monterey Thur night I would probably have to leave the hotel by 5:30 to make sure I have enough time to make it to the airport in plenty of time. I don't really like the idea of that early time. I was considering driving up to San Fran Thur night and staying there so that I will already be there. San Fran is such a huge city. If I do that, should I stay somewhere fun? Or should I stay close to the airport? I know I can post this in the SanFran forum, but I thought I would start here. My other option is to drive halfway on Thur night and stay someplace like Santa Cruz. Anyone else have any ideas???

Monterey Bay...
reviews: 37
1. Re: 1 night stay on way back to SFO - need help!

You'll be driving in the midst of heavy commute traffic and assume you will also have a rental car to drop-off. I'd stay as close to the airport as possible. Santa Cruz to SFO via 17 is a crapshoot as well. It could take 2 hours or ....eternity. I'd spend a full day enjoying yourself, plenty to see and do, and then head to an SFO airport hotel in the evening, maybe after the commute. I drove to SFO last Friday night. I left Santa Cruz at 5:30 and hit SFO around 7 via 280. I'd avoid 101 on this route as well during commute hours.

Edited: 11:58 am, May 09, 2013
Monterey Peninsula...
2. Re: 1 night stay on way back to SFO - need help!

I concur with the previous post. Keep stress to a minimum and stay as close to SFO as possible.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
3. Re: 1 night stay on way back to SFO - need help!

Are you asking TA members if you should stay someplace for fun or someplace close to the Airport ? LOL

You are not allowed to have fun. How dare you ?

I agree with Mr Toy and CocoMakai that you should get to SF/SFO . Now if you want to stay in SF, or SFO that is up to you . You can find a good hotel and spend the evening at a better restaurant or bar than what is around you near the Airport without a car. That is not to say that there are no good places on the Peninsula for a meal. Plenty of them but they would all need a car and I would suggest getting rid of the car no matter where you stay -- SFO or SF. BART will get you to SFO in 35 minutes plus add time to get to your terminal so about an hour .

Edited: 7:13 pm, May 09, 2013
Norfolk, VA
4. Re: 1 night stay on way back to SFO - need help!

Thanks guys! I just booked a room at a hotel right next to the airport and it faces the bay!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
5. Re: 1 night stay on way back to SFO - need help!

Good job. Oyster Point?

Norfolk, VA
6. Re: 1 night stay on way back to SFO - need help!

Thanks guys! I just booked a room at a hotel right next to the airport - bay landing. I will have a rental car still. I was planning on dropping that off fri morning before my flight. On thur night I was thinking of taking the train from the hotel into the city for dinner. Does this all sound good?

Norfolk, VA
7. Re: 1 night stay on way back to SFO - need help!

Thanks guys! I just booked a room at a hotel right next to the airport - bay landing. I will have a rental car still. I was planning on dropping that off fri morning before my flight. On thur night I was thinking of taking the train from the hotel into the city for dinner. Does this all sound good?

8. Re: 1 night stay on way back to SFO - need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 12, 2014