We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch stop on Hwy. 1 bwteen SF and Monterey

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Frantastic
reviews: 14
Lunch stop on Hwy. 1 bwteen SF and Monterey

I'm driving down from San Francisco with my friend from Texas and I want to take the scenic route. We'll probably leave around noon, but I'd like to have lunch along the way. Can anyone suggest a spot? It looks like Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz are the main options, but HMB seems like to early in the road trip, and it seems like we'd be starving by the time we got to SC. Thoughts?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 2,452
1. Re: Lunch stop on Hwy. 1 bwteen SF and Monterey

If you do decide to stop early, Half Moon Bay Brewing company

http://www.duartestavern.com/

or further down

Duarte's Tavern in Pescadaro

http://www.duartestavern.com/

are two before Santa Cruz. Several great ones in Santa Cruz and Puter, Destination Expert, in Santa Cruz usually has the best and greatest latest local scoop ....

Edited: 7:30 pm, April 11, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
2. Re: Lunch stop on Hwy. 1 bwteen SF and Monterey

Duarte's is living off its reputation. I was there about a year ago and their "famous" artichoke soup was like wall paper paste. The Olalla berry Pie looked good but after about four spoonful's of soup I was done. It's a fun atmosphere but the food is pretty lame.

HMB to Santa Cruz isn't that far. Or stop in HMB (or elsewhere) and pick up picnic goodies ... there are tons of great spots along that way to stop and enjoy the sights.

If you want to make an interesting detour into the hills, Alice's Restaurant is fun (and the burgers are pretty good). You'll drive through some redwoods and have sections of views of both the bay and the ocean. Something most people don't do: http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/

Marina, California
reviews: 15
3. Re: Lunch stop on Hwy. 1 bwteen SF and Monterey

Sam's Chowder House is great, and right on the highway in Half Moon Bay. Great views and food; parking can be tricky, so you may drive past, find a spot, and walk back a bit. It's worth it.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 80
4. Re: Lunch stop on Hwy. 1 bwteen SF and Monterey

I like to get sandwiches at the store in Pescadero and then have a picnic at Pescadero state beach.

Bay Area, CA
reviews: 2
5. Re: Lunch stop on Hwy. 1 bwteen SF and Monterey

Another vote for sandwiches (especially on their garlic herb bread) from Arcangeli Grocery / Norms Market in Pescadero. Their fresh breads are really good as well.

Next to it is a place with a pretty nice brick pizza oven. I haven't eaten there myself, but it looks good.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
6. Re: Lunch stop on Hwy. 1 bwteen SF and Monterey

Well, okay, if you make it as far as Santa Cruz before you get hungry, come on down to Pacific Avenue, the main street, pretty and tree-lined, and walk the walk. There are more restaurants than I can count and most have sidewalk tables. The menus are posted. And it is a fun walk up and back to make a decision. Pizza, pasta, Betty's hamburgers, Chinese, Japanese, California (American)? Take your choice. Oh, Indian as well. There is a kiosk near the Bookshop Santa Cruz called "Healthy Fast Food" and she makes great salads. A few steps away is a kiosk for the Penney Ice Creamery, a local venture with fantastic ice cream.

My favorite place for lunch is Laili, half a block off Pacific Avenue on Cooper Street......advertised as "Silk Road" food. Fantastic. We often do it instead of dinner. In fact we ate there yesterday. In addition to the stylish indoor seating they have a lovely patio with umbrellas or heat lamps, whichever you need. They serve 'lunch' until 2:30. Dinner at 5, I think.

lailirestaurant.com/index2.php#/text_3/1/

(The website is a little off the wall. Ignore the music and read the menus. ) Yesterday we shared the flatbread and toppings appetizer (great toppings) and I had the special salad with strawberries, arugula and baby spinach and goat cheese.) DH had the lamb burger, brother inlaw added chicken to his salad and sister inlaw had the eggplant dish. We all gave thumbs up.

I was going to recommend Duarte's in Pescadero, but perhaps, as RamblinSal says, they are living off their reputation now.

Another choice, before Santa Cruz, is Davenport. I think it's called the "Davenport Store"....it has changed names a few times, but you can't miss it. Plain food, the hamburgers were good when I was there last.

There is really no place for lunch between Pescadero and Davenport, so gauge your hunger, or snack until you get to Santa Cruz..

Enjoy the trip down the coast.

San Frantastic
7. Re: Lunch stop on Hwy. 1 bwteen SF and Monterey

@RamblinSal - Alice's looks like a good option. Especially with the extra scenic detour. Do you know if the the cut-off from Hwy 1 is north or south of that tunnel they just opened to bypass Devil's Slide? I really want to check that tunnel and bridge out, so if I could save time by taking the usual inland route to Alice's and then shoot over to the coast and still hit Devil's Slide, best of all possible worlds!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions -- TA totally rules!!! I really appreciate how everyone is so polite in these forums. Practically zero snark. Very refreshing in today's internet.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 80
8. Re: Lunch stop on Hwy. 1 bwteen SF and Monterey

The turn off to Alice's restaurant is south of the tunnel at Devil's Slide. The tunnel is between Pacifica and Montara. To get to Alice's, you can either take Hwy 84 from Hwy 1 at San Gregorio or you can take Hwy 92 at Half Moon Bay and then Hwy 35 (aka Skyline Blvd) which follows the ridgeline of the mountain.

San Frantastic
9. Re: Lunch stop on Hwy. 1 bwteen SF and Monterey

Thanks @november_moon -- I'll check these routes ouT

San Frantastic
10. Re: Lunch stop on Hwy. 1 bwteen SF and Monterey

RE: Alice's - I like the idea of a little mountain detour on the trip south, and Alice's looks great. Does anyone know if there is usually a long wait for lunch later in the afternoon?

Gracias!