We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey
reviews: 1
lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

We are driving for an over night stop at Pismo beach from san francisco en route to LA. We shall be travelling on the 101 as both myself and my daughter suffer travel sickness and I believe route 1 is not exactly straight! I would love to stop around Monterey for a couple of hours but am concerned that traffic/parking might be difficult on a sunday in august, Anyone any suggestions? It would be lovely to see a bit of the coast.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
1. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

Monterey isn't on Highway 101, which is an all inland route UNTIL you get to Pismo Beach. You'll have to make a detour to get over to Monterey if that's what you want to do. What would be the date on that Sunday in August? There's a huge car show at Pebble Beach in August and parking may or may not be a problem depending on whether most of the visitors are at the car show or not. Monterey does have pay garage parking, which is probably your best bet. Then you can wander around Cannery Row a bit and grab a bite to eat. Perhaps at the Trail Side Cafe or, if burgers sound good to you, Archie's Diner next to the American Tin Cannery Outlet Mall, which has some really nice views of Monterey Bay.

Jersey
2. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

Thanks. We will be there 4th august.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
3. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

The car show will be later in the month, but the Monterey area will still be a busy place. Just be prepared for that and you'll be fine. IF you can to Monterey by 11:00 am, have lunch first to avoid the worst of the lunch crowds and long waits for tables, ordering, etc.

When you leave SF, take I-280 south from the city to Highway 85 south toward Gilroy. Then connect with Highway 101 south to Highway 156 West toward the Monterey Peninsula, which will merge with Highway 1 (Don't worry... this part of Highway 1 is multi lane and more like a freeway) south toward Monterey. I-280 is a fast, scenic drive that will make up a little bit for missing the drive along the coast. The exit for Highway 156 toward Monterey is almost at the crest of a forested mountain pass, so one the highway starts to rise and you see lots of pine trees, you know your exit is coming up.

Once you roll into Monterey, look for the off-ramp toward Fisherman's Wharf and take that. That road leads over to Cannery Row, if that's where you want to go.

Edited: 11:14 am, April 04, 2013
Jersey
4. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

lovely thanks. Am now thinking we might pick up some picnic stuff at a deli in Monterey and then head out to the 17 mile drive to take in some views.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
5. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32737-d45…

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
6. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

Since you won't be driving through Big Sur, if you want to do a picnic, I would suggest going out to Point Lobos state reserve rather than 17 Mile Drive. This park is about 3 miles south of Camel, so not very much of a detour and it has some absolutely spectacular coastline that will give you a taste of what the Big Sur coastline is like. 17 Mile Drive has beautiful coastline too, but it also has a lot of houses, golf courses, etc. Many people love 17 Mile Drive, but to me, Point Lobos is the clear choice because it is almost completely natural. There are several easy hikes if you want to see more and you have the time.

If for some reason you don't go over to the Monterey/Carmel area, San Juan Bautista is a town just off Hwy 101 that makes for a nice stop - there is a mission there and a restored/recreated old town square from the days when California belonged to Spain and Mexico. It is a good stop for those interested in CA history - I wouldn't choose it over Monterey though.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
7. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

Since you won't be on the coast, maybe look at Old Fisherman's Grotto on the pier. Yes it touristy, but the food is decent and the setting is great.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

I'd also ask your doctor if dramamine would help your car/motion sickness and if so, try the 1.

8. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 06, 2014