We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night stay with family - What to see before we go

Which Merced hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
reviews: 2
One night stay with family - What to see before we go

Family with young children (1 & 6) staying one night en route to Angels Camp via Yosemite last weekend of March 2014. Would love some evening activity ideas: dinner & activity preferably or activity & dinner, good for whole family. We have a car, but would like to stay in town. We expect to arrive in the early evening, around 4:30-5pm. Thanks in advance!

6 replies to this topic
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 28
1. Re: One night stay with family - What to see before we go

Merced is not between Yosemite and Angels Camp......You would take highway 120 out of Yosemite....

distancebetweencities.net/angels-camp_ca_and…

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
2. Re: One night stay with family - What to see before we go

I'm confused as well. I wonder if the OP is driving up from San Diego and stopping for the night. The next day they are driving into Yosemite NP and back out of Yosemite to Angel's Camp.

Even then, Merced is not on the way.

And Merced is not a hot-spot of tourist activity. Maybe there is a family friendly performance at Merced College or at UC Merced, but that's a long shot.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 28
3. Re: One night stay with family - What to see before we go

Whichever way you are coming, if you will be driving through Merced, just keep driving through it....Mariposa is not that much further......nicer quieter cleaner small town.....good museum and parks for the kids and several comfortable motels........

Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
4. Re: One night stay with family - What to see before we go

I can see how the stay in Merced makes since. From San Diego with two young ones- spend the night in Merced and then on to Yosemite and then on to Angels Camp.

The Castle Air Museum is really good. It is located in Atwater which in right next to Merced. I am not sure the open hours would work though.

http://www.castleairmuseum.org/

San Diego...
reviews: 2
5. Re: One night stay with family - What to see before we go

Hi all, thanks for your posts! To help clarify, we're driving up from San Diego, and figured we would drive about 4 legs before stopping for the night. We've got our first stop in Burbank to visit family. A second stop in Bakersfield. A third in Hanford. and then the fourth we figured we'd stop in Merced, since that falls onto route 99. Since we can't check in to our resort in Angels Camp until after 4pm the next day, we thought we'd drive in to Yosemite for the day just to get a feel for it, then drive on through to Angels Camp at the end of the day.

Does anyone else besides Mamabear recommend Mariposa over Merced? If so, would I then go up the 41 from Fresno to the 49? That looked like a windy road that probably wouldn't be terribly comfortable for kids at the end of a long driving day. Thoughts?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
6. Re: One night stay with family - What to see before we go

I think driving to Oakhurst makes more sense than to Merced. From Oakhurst, it's about 30 minutes to Mariposa Grove ~ fun & easy to walk around for kids. Then head toward Yosemite Valley, almost 60 minutes. Stop at Tunnel View and then Bridalveil Fall. Then go on to Yosemite Valley for a bit of tourism.

From Yosemite Valley it's another 2 hours to Angels Camp. Maybe the kids will want to nap for this last part.

=======

If you stay in Merced, it's about 2 hours to get to Yosemite Valley. The road is gentler, but it's still a winding road.

Note that Oakhurst and Merced are about the same drive time from Hanford. The advantage to Oakhurst is that it is closer to Yosemite NP (and closer to Yosemite Valley.)

Reply to: One night stay with family - What to see before we go
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Merced