We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendocino must do's

Which Mendocino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
karen3858
Mendocino must do's

I will be visiting Mendocino next week for two days. Is there anything that I must see or a restaurant to visit? Never been here. Wanted to relax, go to the beach, and eat at some good restaurants.

Rocklin, California
reviews: 20
1. Re: Mendocino must do's

It may be verey foggy next week, so plan on layers (if it's hot in Valley, coast is usually foggy), it. Are you planning on only checking out Mendocino, or are you willing to roam? Walking the Mendocino Headlands is nice, but doesn't take an awfully long time, but you can always take a trail off of it to a "beach" area. Prowling the shops within Mendocino is fun, and there are quite a few places to eat or snack, but I have no specific recommendations as haven't been there in a couple of years and things change. If you're willing to drive to Fort Bragg, there's a botanical garden there that everyone raves about (haven't been there yet - seems like I've always have grandkids w/me and they're not interested, but hopefully in October I'll make it). If you like to walk, besides the Mendocino Headlands, there's a "tow/haul" road that parallels the water that a nice, gentle walk and goes quite aways, including into MacKerricher Park north of Fort Bragg (my spelling's probably bad on that one), but it's a very nice place to visit, and they have boardwalk "trails" that make it easy to walk through dune areas to get to nice viewing areas, etc. Very relaxing. If you're interested in a 1/2 day trip (basically) on a train through the forest/partially along a river, there's always the Skunk Train out of Fort Bragg - doing that for first time myself in October. Hopefully, you'll consider "Mendocino" the general area and search other forums that cover the area. It is beautiful and relaxing, no matter what you do.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
reviews: 27
2. Re: Mendocino must do's

Hwy 128 has some wonderful wineries (Anderson Valley vintners) and some incredible redwood groves. We were there last summer and spent so much time just enjoying the coastline, walking the headlands, exploring the parks up north and south on Hwy 1. The Ford House was interesting from an historical point of view, explaining the beginnings of the town. There is a pathway behind the Presbyterian Church in town, you take it down the stairs to the beach and can explore up the river somewhat and just enjoy a sandy beach. We loved Patterson's Pub and Mendocino Hotel for dinners (eat in the bar at the hotel, a lot of history there and a good happy hour menu).

Roseville...
reviews: 15
3. Re: Mendocino must do's

Our fav place is Patterson's Pub. Very causal, good food, and fun atmosphere. Lots of locals here; but can be loud. If you want "fine" dining, this ain't it. For "fine" dining try Mendocino Hotel or Little River Inn.

For lunches go to Little River Market; admire ocean view from back.

Walk the shops along Main Street. Whistle Stop has cool stuff and find the fudge shop a couple blocks down from Whistle.

If your hubs/BF is with you, take him to Jenny's Giant Burgers at north end of Ft. Bragg; giant cheese burger with mustard and lots of fried onions is the hot ticket. After, tell him he owes you meal at Mendocino Hotel.

Los Angeles, CA
reviews: 12
4. Re: Mendocino must do's

Glass Beach at the north end of Fort Bragg.

Also in Fort Bragg, visit one of the seafood restaurants in Noyo Harbor.

5. Re: Mendocino must do's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 04, 2013